The Bubble-Magus Club

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm real excited about my new skimmer from Bubble-Magus and felt we needed a club of our own like some of the other brands have. I saw a thread like this on another forum, but unfortunately it was closed down for schilling before I could post into it. I read all 79 pages and really wanted to start on here. Feel free to share your experiences with anything Bubble-Magus.

I just recently got a Bubble-Magus BM-180A Cone Skimmer and I love it. I upgraded from a Vertex IN-100 which rocked, but couldn't hold a candle to the new one. My main reason I upgraded is because I wanted more fish. I have an 80 gallon and felt I was at capacity with the Vertex and 7 fish(4 decent sized, 3 smaller). I'm hoping to keep 10 total now, possibly 11. I know this skimmer can handle it. It is rated 130-210 gallons.

Within 15 minutes of getting it home, it was up and running, assembly was a piece of cake. BUT read the instructions as there are a couple things in there that can damage your skimmer if you do not follow them. Construction is top notch, feels solid. The collection cup is probably 2/3 bigger than the Vertex was.The footprint on this skimmer is barely bigger than the vertex because the pump is underneath the skimmer, rather than to the side.

And the pump, Atman 3000 is absolutely silent. The vertex was quieter than a number of skimmers I have seen, but still the Atman beat it. It took a couple days to break in, but after the break-in, it took about 2 days to get the amount of skimmate in the second pic below. First pic is of it just after I put it in my sump.

If I had to find one con, it would be the drain pipe. While I understand it is so I can hook it up to an external bucket for excess skimmate, I wish it had also come with the option to cap it right at the bottom of the skimmer cup. Just my .02

In short, while I really liked my Vertex, I absolutely love my new Bubble Magus.

I'm hoping to try out their dosers one of these days, and I will add my opinion on those in here, too...
IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of warranty comes with the pump? I know the b.blasters on the octo cones are 3 yr and its one of the reasons I'm leaning towards getting one, but might be convinced to go with a BM.

Last edited:

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got mines yet but I just got a nac3+ from a local for my breeder and am excited. I'll post pics when I pick it up.

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Just an update, this thing rocks!!! I am getting tons of dark skimmate now. Took me a bit to find the "sweet spot" but once I did, I need to empty it every 2-3 days. The best part for me VS. the Vertex, is that it keeps pulling junk out even if it doesn't get cleaned out on schedule. The Vertex seemed to stop once the neck got too dirty after a couple days.

So post up some pics and continue with the reviews..

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of warranty comes with the pump? I know the b.blasters on the octo cones are 3 yr and its one of the reasons I'm leaning towards getting one, but might be convinced to go with a BM.

I think it is just a 1 year warrenty on the pump. But I'm not sure.
Yes one year, and this pump has had no issues with starting and stopping, FWIW, plus it is pretty much silent for me..

atcaw94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching like crazy for the past 2-3 weeks for a skimmer for my 135 gal. I was down to the Vertex IN-180 or the Aquamaxx 200, but they are out of stock until June. Then I thought about the new Super RO 200 because of the great reviews of the Bubble blaster pump, but it's $350. I was trying to stay $300 or less. Then I came across Bubble Magus, and see they got the rights to ATB bodies? Now I'm researching Bubble Magus. But it seems they have a million different skimmers.:squigglemouth: I need a skimmer will a small footprint, my skimmer section is around 11X13.
Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
Thanks
DJ

atcaw94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magus got the rights to use bodies ATB Skimmers?

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]BM-180A
Needle wheel protein skimmer
Reactor room: Cone, seamless body (Bubble Magus got the rights to use bodies ATB Skimmers!!!)
Pump: Atman ph3000
Pump power: 110V, 60Hz
Capacbility: 500-800L water ( 130 -210gal )
Air intake: 540L/H
Product size: 280*230*520mm ( 11.05"x9.05"x20.5")
[/FONT]

OP
OP
Angels 2010

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that exact skimmer and I love it, cranks out the skimmate like crazy. I had the vertex before it and this thing dominates it. I highly recommend it...

topfun2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bough a externer skimmer BM-160 from local distributer. The fact that, now have not enough space to locate skimmer outside the sump, so can I put the skimmer in side the sump (water flooded over the skimmer pump). I have tried to contact the manufacture but no response. Pls. help .........

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back