Help needed for clown egs & hatching

yamanailesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I found a surprise from my ocellaris + Percula (female) which laid eggs in the DT over a live rock with a piece of BTA on it. I am trying to read many sources mainly from R2R but I feel a bit lost between all those information. If I can receive some more suggestions from experienced friends it will be soo very valuable for me.

20141126_202258.jpg

Now My main question is;

- They are in the DT so I will not be able to pick up the babies if the they hatch. So, shall I move them into a small bare bottom tank with the live rock which they had been attached to?

- Shall the parents coe to the new small (aprox : 50 lt) tank with the eggs?

I ve already purchased rotifers and fito culture to feed them. I need all comments and helps which you can support with.

Thanks in advance.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this book it will answer all your questions Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson . if the rock is small enough you move it into a small tank but only when you see the silver eye`s that s 8 day`s at 80 degrees after the eggs were laid and two hours after dark no moon lights on !pitch black . water has to be the same water from your tank . the eggs cannot hit the air or most will die . as for the rotifers you need to make a few cultures in buckets and feed them phytoplantion . the rotifers are the carriers of the food (phytoplankton ) . the book goes into lots of details but it helped me a lot .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yamanailesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the information. I am afraid I might not be able to find this book in my country. I started searching for it. I am preparing a bucket set both for rotifer and phytoplanktones in a small room to continue the culture. Tonight I guess will be the second night for the eggs, my daughters and wife will continue watching them while I am at work. Then when I see the silver ish) color on the eggs I will move them with rock to the small tank with the same water from the DT without having them hitting air (somehow). The anemone on the rock seems like it will not leave its rock , and I hope it wont be a problem for the hopefully hatched babies. Anyways this will be my first trial, but I will keep on trying with this couple untill I get success.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the rotifer need to eat the phyto planton . I am not sure it is found in your country REEF Nutrition is the company name their phyto is the best I found to work for me .I added a cap full to the bucket and you will see the green disappear in a day which means the rotifers are eating . I also kept a light over the rotifer bucket 24/7 so they would multiply faster . the phyto has to be kept in the refrig. I found keeping the rotifers more work then raising the baby clown fish :)

OP
OP
Y

yamanailesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have ocean nutrition in Turkiye. Thanks for the advice :) Let's see what happens. At this moment I am more afraid of the anemone which is very close to the eggs on the same rock. It is really an exciting period to wait and get the experience. But I guess I missed to see hatching eggs since last two years I switched reefing from discus tanks. :)

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the anemone Is a problem and would not be good In the tank with the larvae . If your clowns are happy .They will lay eggs every two weeks . So you will have many chances . Maybe when the next time they lay eggs you can put a piece of tile on the rock and they may lay eggs on the tile .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back