The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Wrasser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus pylei

Anyone have experience with mixing the Pyle's with other wrasses? I have a 110 gallon wrasse only tank and was thinking of adding a really nice male for sale in he DD to the tank. I've read they can be aggressive toward other wrasses even though they are considered "peaceful".Current livestock is as follows:

Male/Female Hawaiian Flame
Male/Female Lubbock
Male Lineatus
Crypic wrasse/Pink Streaked

1106141-226.jpg

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'd add one with my group unless it was in a pretty big tank. Beautiful fish but a little too aggressive towards other wrasses.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with mixing the Pyle's with other wrasses? I have a 110 gallon wrasse only tank and was thinking of adding a really nice male for sale in he DD to the tank. I've read they can be aggressive toward other wrasses even though they are considered "peaceful".Current livestock is as follows:

Male/Female Hawaiian Flame
Male/Female Lubbock
Male Lineatus
Crypic wrasse/Pink Streaked

1106141-226.jpg

I have found the Vanuatu pylei to be significantly less aggressive than the Cebu. I think that one could be fine.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kinda look like 8 line's
But very importantly, they are Pseudocheilinus octotaenia, and NOT the eightline flasher (Paracheilinus octotaenia).
There's a lot of risk mixing Pseudocheilinus wrasses amongst others; not so much with Paracheilinus.

That's correct they are eight line wrasse
Best of luck with these, but I fear you may not have a good outcome mixed with other wrasses.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But very importantly, they are Pseudocheilinus octotaenia, and NOT the eightline flasher (Paracheilinus octotaenia).
There's a lot of risk mixing Pseudocheilinus wrasses amongst others; not so much with Paracheilinus.

Best of luck with these, but I fear you may not have a good outcome mixed with other wrasses.

Thank you. I hope all goes well so far they are all swimming together. I have a very bad addiction for wrasses and Sps.

Wrasser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great info, as always Evolved. I really enjoyed your post on reef safe wrasse btw. I just recently upgraded to a 112 gallon tank (60x18x24) and am going to be going with just wrasses. I currently have 6 wrasses and zero aggression between them. Obviously I would like to keep the peace as best as possible. I kind of have it all planned out as to what fish I'm going with but wanted to pick your brain a little and see what your thoughts were. I'll be using an acclimation box but I would like to know in what order I should add the fish (most aggressive being last). As far as aquascaping goes, do you find that these wrasses need more void space and room for swimming or more live rock for hiding/territory? Do you think that 6 pairs of Cirrhilabrus is overdoing it in terms of both bioload and territory? Thanks for the info.

Current Fish
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (pair)
Hawaiian Flame Wrasse (pair)
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (male, wtb female)
Crypic Fairy Wrasse

Wanted Fish
Earl’s Fairy Wrasse (pair)
Bell's Flasher Wrasse (pair)
Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse (pair)
Tanaka's Pygmy Possum Wrasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back