Cleaner Shrimp and Manderin

leemarch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for my cleaner shrimp to be on top of my manderin?

OP
OP
leemarch

leemarch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo
mu9ugaqu.jpg

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...This is normal. Your shrimp is cleaning your Manderin! :)

OP
OP
leemarch

leemarch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I didn't know if the cleaner knew more than me (perhaps that my manderin was close to being dead?!? Haaha)

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah...My cleaner does the same thing. He has a little 'cleaning station' setup and fish will swim over to him and get a cleaning.

Per LiveAquaria.com --

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp acts like the medic of any saltwater aquarium. In fact, this active cleaner will set up shop on live rock or coral outcroppings and wait for fish to come and be cleaned of ectoparasites or dead tissue. Many fish value its services so highly that they even allow the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to clean inside of their mouths without harming the shrimp. No matter how your fish use the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp's services, it is easy to see why this peaceful creature is so popular amongst home aquarists. The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp because of the distinct pair of bright red stripes that outline the single white stripe running down its back. The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is often found in groups amongst live rock or coral. In the home aquarium, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp requires similar habitats and peaceful tankmates. Some fish, such as Hawkfish and Lionfish or predatory shrimp or crabs may see this member of the Hippolytidae family as food.
Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. It also requires the drip-acclimation process when first introduced to your system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.
The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or is also called the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
leemarch

leemarch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. You learn new things everyday!! It's just cause none of my other fish use him for his qualities ;)

1saltyjoker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stud mandarin!! How old?? And how long is he?? Or is your cleaner a baby??

1saltyjoker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems my banded coral shrimp is cleaning my goby since my cleaner went to shrimp heaven......is this possible??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back