Re: White spot on purple tang

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple tang from 10 days - the fish was excellent for 6 days (I puts her in sterilization tang) after 6 days the white spot start to appear in her flipper-the salinity was 1.018 and I'm reducing it -now the salinity is 1.016 and it start to disappear . What I know is 2 points.
1-the salinity should be 1.010 to distroy the virus??? How many days the fish can endure????
2-when I can put the fish in the main tank???
Thanks for help

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a purple tang from 10 days - the fish was excellent for 6 days (I puts her in sterilization tang) after 6 days the white spot start to appear in her flipper-the salinity was 1.018 and I'm reducing it -now the salinity is 1.016 and it start to disappear . What I know is 2 points.
1-the salinity should be 1.010 to distroy the virus??? How many days the fish can endure????
2-when I can put the fish in the main tank???
Thanks for help

First off, welcome to Reef2Reef. Can you post some pictures of your purple tang? It sounds like you are treating your fish for Marine ich (White Spot Disease) which is caused by the parasitic protozoan Cryptocaryon Irritans.

Here is an excerpt from the Ich Discussion and Treatment Thread regarding hyposalinity:

Hyposalinity

Hyposalinity treatment is probably the most successful and least stressful treatment, if done properly. Unfortunately, this can't be done in a reef tank. However, it can be done in a Marine Fish Only tank, with a caveat or two.

Hyposalinity is treatment by lowering the salinity of saltwater, to a level that it will kill the parasite, but NOT kill the fish. In fact, lowering salinity eases a fishes ability to "respire," and increases oxygens ability to mix with the water.

Changes in salinity do need to be done correctly, as to not stress the fish. Lowering the salinity can be done quicker than raising the salinity. Typically the salinity can be dropped from 1.025 to 1.009 in a matter of a couple of days, without negatively effecting the fish. However, once treatment is over, the salinity should be raised back up to 1.025 slower (over the period of a week.) Treatment needs to be done for a period of 6-8 weeks, OR at least 2 weeks after all visible signs of Ich are gone. At that point, salinity can be slowly raised, over a 1 week period. During this same time, the display tank must remain "fallow," or fishless. Without any Fish Hosts, the Ich parasite will die.

1.009 has been shown to be the level where Ich can no longer survive, without negatively effecting the fish. Again, this cannot be done in a reef tank, as motile and immotile inverts will die. In a Fish Only system, this can be done, however, beneficial bacteria, micro fauna, micro flora, amphipods, copepods, etc. will perish. Those things will re-populate, over time.

Hyposalinity is best done in an established QT tank.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike & terry thank you for your help . But I want to know how many days the fish will be in 1.009??

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days is enough???

No it is not. Excerpt from first reply:
...Treatment needs to be done for a period of 6-8 weeks, OR at least 2 weeks after all visible signs of Ich are gone...

Make sense?

There are other treatment options. Unfortunately, none of them will cure ich in 3 days. Take a look at the thread link in our first reply: Ich Discussion and Treatment Thread there is some good information in there. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please I need to know how many days should the fish will be in 1.009 (p.s:- I don't have protein skimmer in the other tank)

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure it's ich?? one white spot on a fin doesn't necessarily mean it's ich.....

TrialandError

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: White spot on purble tang

6-8 weeks which would be 42-56 days minimum with the salt 1.009 then you have to have it go up to 1.025 but slow over 7 or more days

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact I'm not sure - but can the fish live all this period without protin skimmer?.?

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are unsure what infection/disease your fish has, then it is best that you wait to treat the fish until you know what you are dealing with.

Hyposalinity treatment (which you had already started before posting your thread) is one method of treatment for Cryptocaryon Irritans (common names - White Spot Disease, Marine Ich, Ich).

I'll ask again. Would you please post pics of your purple tang? They may help in determining what is wrong with your fish.

OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main tank

Attachments

• 1405890340324.jpg
    1405890340324.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 421

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Reading this post makes me think this is a Candid Camera skit....

Let's see, if we ask to see a photograph of your refrigerator, perhaps we will get to see the actual ill fish.

So I don't seem like too much a heel, I will add something beneficial.....

If your sterilzation tank doesn't have a skimmer is irrelevant. If you keep changing the water frequently the purple tang can stay in it for a very long time.

Tank and rock seem pretty clean, how old is the main tank?

Dave B

OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I canot take aphoto for the other tank -purble tang disappear when I come close . My main tank 4 months

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pics of the fish, it is nearly impossible for us to help you determine what is wrong and how to treat.

At this point, I would suggest that you search the web for images of fish with

• Cryptocaryon Irritans (White Spot Disease, Marine Ich, Ich) so that you can see what it looks like and compare to your fish. Ich usually looks like salt crystals.

• Lymphocystis virus and compare with your fish. Lymphocystis has a cauliflower shape. There is no treatment that will kill this virus. Treatment is focused on keeping good water quality and building up the fish's immune system with quality food and nutritional supplements such as Selcon.
Other less likely diseases to checkout would be Amyloodinium (Marine Velvet) and Brooklynella.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity now is 1.015 - The fish eating normal and there is no white spot right now - please somebody tell me what i have to do

Attachments

• 20140721_010423.jpg
    20140721_010423.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 380
OP
OP
B

bogy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now salinity is 1.015 the fish start to eat normal and the white spot Disappear. please i want to know what i have to do now???

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
now salinity is 1.015 the fish start to eat normal and the white spot Disappear. please i want to know what i have to do now???

Hey friend, go check the second post in this thread. Mike and Terry gave you the instructions for hyposalinity treatment. Since you are already raising salinity, I'm not sure you intend to do this treatment correctly (since you were already told it would need to last 6-8 weeks and are obviously not following that advice).

So, I would say you should probably start by following the advice you're already been given.

Not trying to be harsh. I just don't know that any of us are sure what you're trying to do since you aren't following the advice that's already been given. This makes it difficult to give any new advice.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back