Building my Livestock List

zgetman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on another forum and have not gotten a bunch of help so I thought I would throw it on here.

I have added a few fish and some inverts to my tank since I started. My list so far has been:
1. Misbar Clownfish
2. Purple Dottyback (Bully of the tank)
3. Peppermint Shrimp (MIA since addition of Damsel)
4. Cobalt Damsel (Gift from a friend)

These are my current fish and here is the rundown on the inhabitants.

The Misbar Clownfish is really neat to watch, he sleeps at the top left corner of the tank, and hangs out in the middle and top of the tank. He is real peaceful until I put my hand in the tank then he thinks I am food.

The Purple Dottyback, which was picked by my wife, (spontaneous buy) is a beautiful addition to this tank, he sleeps behind the rock work on the left side of the tank. He leaves the Clownfish alone but when the Damsel gets near any of the rock work he chases him off. I have even seen him chase the damsel when the damsel was no where near the rock or the dottyback's territory.

The Peppermint Shrimp used to hang out near the top of the tank on the powerhead on the left side of the tank. He disappeared about a week after the introduction of the damsel fish.

The Cobalt Damsel was given to us by my pastor. The Pastor said the Damsel was bullying his chromis and wondered if he would work out in my aquarium. I figured he would be okay and accepted him. The Damsel hangs out at the top of the tank on the left side of the aquarium and sleeps there as well. He has been the target of the Dottyback ever since he was added, but not as much now.

I have been trying to find some more fish for this tank and need some help making up my mind. Keeping in mind that I want a mandarin after I get my sump going. I am thinking of a hawkfish, and a coral beauty. Not going to be adding much more than this if any. Although I still like the goby shrimp and pistol shrimp pairings but I am not sure that would work out with a mandarin. Also I am curious how a starfish would look in my tank.

Do you guys think these species will work in a 55g tank? If not, can you give me a good alternative? And if anyone has any other suggestions they are welcome.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have some aggressive species in your setup, I would be concerned about the safety of a mandarin; also be sure you have lots of copepods in your system as most mandarin will not eat prepared foods (some do but not the norm). Is your setup a FOWLR? If you intend on having corals I would not get a sea star; fish only and a sea star would be fine. I would think the hawkfish could be suitable and I would advise a larger tank for a coral beauty.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a hawkfish and coral beauty would be fine in your setup zgetman. My coral beauty was bought small and has grown very slowly over time. As you think about corals, the dwarf angels can nip (seems to depend on each individual) - mine has been a model citizen. I love my flamehawk - coolest fish in my tank - tons of personality, always active, loves to photo bomb and is not aggressive.

I think the trick is whether your current inhabitants will accept the newcomers and not bully them. I know some damsels can be ok but I've found them overall to be some of the most aggressive fish in the hobby.

I HTH - you can always try to use an acclimation box for new additions - also lights off and possibly rearrange some rock so the territories are a little changed may help with aggression.

OP
OP
zgetman

zgetman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using a QT for new inhabitants, and when they are ready I am going to pull the Purple dotty back out put him in the QT and move some rocks around and then add the new addition. Wait about a week and then reintroduce the dottyback. Don't know if this will work or not.

OP
OP
zgetman

zgetman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on adding another Clownfish to give my other a mate.

Okay so I think I am going to be getting a Sixline Wrasse. I love the color of those fish.

I really want a hawkfish but I am apprehensive about the aggressive behavior of the Dottyback. But if the Hawkfish can handle itself I may go ahead and get one.

I was planning on growing pods just so I could keep a Mandarin but not sure how it would handle the Dottyback.

The Coral Beauty or Flame Angel would be my final addition to this setup. I believe they could hand the dottyback's aggressiveness.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go with a hawk since you don't have a cleaner shrimp.

A coral beauty would work as well, but if you have corals its hit or miss. Mostly will pick at coral. You could look into getting another clown.

I would NOT do a Mandarin in a tank of 50gallons. They need large established tanks to sustain their needs or continuous addition of pods which will cost $$.

OP
OP
zgetman

zgetman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
continuous addition of pods will not cost to much when I decide to grow my own in my back room.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back