more than two clownfish

Erak82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering how many people have more than two clownfish in their aquarium? how long with no issues? I just added a third. About the third day the others accepted him.
2 regular ocellaris
1 black snowflake ocellaris

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five in a 110XT. 2 Clarkii and 3 Ocellaris. The breeds stay separated for the most part. The female Clarkii will occasionally chase one of the Ocellaris, but they never make contact.

The key to mine getting along is that the Clarkii's are in a large Sebae on the left side of the display and the Ocellaris have a large Frogspawn on the right. Each has it's own place to hide out.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like already said, if there is ample real estate for all of them to call their own there should be no problem. Check out the brs clownfish harem. They stocked that tank with tons of nems to give each clown their own little piece if the tank.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vast majority of the time it ends with at least one dead clownfish. Things can go South very very quickly, before one has time to act.

It may work in the short term, but all bets are off when a pair starts to spawn, the aggression levels go up greatly.

Having more than a pair is something I don't recommend.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frequently have 2 or more prs of clowns in tanks I take care of. The ocellaris complex seems the most accepting of other clowns, followed by the skunk complex. In a 5ft 90g I have a mixed pr of ocellaris and black ocellaris laying eggs every couple of weeks and they allow a juvenile black ocellaris in their colony. In the same tank there is a spawning pr of pink skunks.

In another tank 54g, I have a spawning pr of perculas with a pr of black ocellaris.

And in a 72g a pr of pink skunks shares a section of the tank with multiple bubbletip anemones with a pr of ocellaris.

What has helped to allow these instances to work is having plenty of places for each pr to have their own host, starting with individuals as small as possible, sticking with the smaller more peaceful species, and adding them around the same time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back