missing wrasse

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Scott's fairy wrasse in my tank Saturday afternon. I haven't seen it since should I be worried? I acclamated for almost 3 hours. I've had other wrasse and I have never gone thus long without catching a glimpse.

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are pretty notorious for hiding in a new environment. I had a McCosker's wrasse in my tank for 9 days before I saw him again, and my Melanarus was probably longer than that. I would not start worrying for a few more days.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the fish? How long did they have it? How did he look throughout acclimation? Did any tankmates show interest or aggression. toward him? What size tank and how much rock?

Scotts dont bury so he will be in the rock somewhere, and scotts usually arent as timid as flashers.

3 hrs is pretty long acclamation, in that time ammonia issues can harm the fish. In the future keeping it to a half hr or less is usually best for the fish.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my melanurus for going on three weeks, yesterday was the first time he was out more than 5 minutes, and most days, I do not see him at all, give it a few days, you should be good to go.

OP
OP
F

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it at a lfs. The reason I went so long is because their salinity is at .022 & mine is at .025. I probably had 1/2-3/4 of a gallon of lfs water. By the time I put him in the tank I had a minimum of an additional 3 gallons of my water in the bucket. They had him for a couple weeks . I even had them feed him before I took him and he ate like a pig. Once in the tank he disappeared into the rocks and I'm still waiting. The tank mates are a purple tang, tomini, melenarious, lineotous , and a black clown. They didn't even approach him or chase him from the rocks.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I've ever had that would go missing for More then a day is leopard wrasse I've always held out hope but usually in my case it means its a goner

OP
OP
F

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's what I'm worried about. I had that happen once a few years ago with a wrasse.I can't remember the name it's in the same family as the melenarious but from Africa with a red body and some yellow by its head.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one go missing, I assumed it had jumped out of the tank somehow. It was missing for a good month or more. Then one day after feeding I noticed it swimming around in my sump! It had somehow got into the overflow box and went down the overflow to the sump. It was fine. Its back in the display now.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue sided wrasse that lived great for a week. He ate and was out and about all the time even the day I got him. One day he wasn't there in the morning to greet me but I didn't think much about it. Got home and he was still missing. Looked around for an hour then gave up. Then when i came back to feed the other fish I caught a glimpse of his tail when I saw the hermits and fire shrimp eating him out of his favorite hidey hole. I have no idea what killed him. Fat and healthy and active then dead. I will say, your acclimation process is really long. I float the bag then place the fish in a cup to observe for any issues. I don't quarantine but I'd say for fish like these it might be a good idea to observe them and ensure they are eating.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Wrasse I've ever had hide for an extended of time are Leopard Wrasses. Never had a problem with Fairy or Flasher Wrasse hiding.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usuallyvthe wrasses that will hide for more than a day are the species in Genera that bury. Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Anampses. Wrasses that sleep in the rocks, such as Cirrhilabrus( Scott' s), and Paracheilinus generally dont hide for more than a day.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of new wrasses disappearing for more than three weeks before finally emerging. It's best to quarantine all fish but they should be in an environment where they can get used to things without tankmates, at least until they have been eating well and are in good condition. QT tanks with PVC are best for these guys because then you can see and keep an eye on them. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know whether yours will be okay or not. Given what you just dropped it into, all you can do is wait and hope.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the wrasses that will hide for more than a day are the species in Genera that bury. Halichoeres, Macropharyngodon, Anampses. Wrasses that sleep in the rocks, such as Cirrhilabrus ( Scott' s), and Paracheilinus generally don't hide for more than a day.
^ This

And in the instance a Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus wrasse goes into hiding (sans new introduction), something is certainly wrong. For a newly introduced Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus, hiding beyond 3 days is abnormal and is typically a sign of an established tank-mate forcing them into hiding (bullying), which is a recipe for failure. Using an acclimation box for 2-3 days on new wrasse additions can greatly diminish incidences such as these.

Lastly, ALL WRASSES REQUIRE A COMPLETELY COVERED TANK!!! Use 1/4" mesh; covers with holes larger than such are too big.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishguy597

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking around the tank yesterday with a flashlight and found him exactly where he swam to initially when introduced into the tank. Needless to say he gone. What are you guys with wrasse doing besides an acclamation box. I do have a qt tank set up but it has copper in it. From what I've read wrasse are better off just being introduced into the tank. Especially a reef tank. Luckily my lfs is very good and is willing to replace him.

wiktor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a Scott's fairy wrasse in my tank Saturday afternon. I haven't seen it since should I be worried? I acclamated for almost 3 hours. I've had other wrasse and I have never gone thus long without catching a glimpse.
When i introduced my melanurus wrasse i didn’t see him for days. The very second a 2nd fish made contact with the water i swear he came out and loved it. ( it was a purple firefish btw) but do you have other fish ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back