Killer Jawfish!

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started restocking my 150 gallon upgrade...

There were 3 pearly Jawfish that have been at a LFS for around 2 weeks that were being held in a pretty small nano tank (hard to find if your didn't know they were there). They were really cool shacking up together under the only rock in the tank. Weirdly, I felt bad only taking one... so against better judgement I bought all three.

I dripped them for an hour and then, starting from smallest to largest, released them into the tank in 10 minute intervals. I fed the only other inhabitants (6-line wrasse and a pair of firefish - placeholder fish) and dropped in the smallest. He went straight to a hole and then came out and started eating like he has been there forever.

Released the middle sized fish and he went straight to an adjoining hole and also started eating.

I then released the largest and he did not seem happy. He swam frantically at the top for a couple of hours and I was afraid he would not settle in. The two smaller fish were already working on their den together. A couple hours later, the largest one was hiding in the back corner and the smaller ones had started construction.

I was so excited to have the two smaller ones already acting like they did in their little nano tank. Two peas in a pod.

The next morning, I could see all the construction that took place overnight - but instead of all three hanging out together - there is only the largest jawfish in the hidey-hole the two smaller fish built - no sign of the other two and I could see marks on the side of the remaining jawfish. I have a tightly-covered tank but still did a search to make sure they didn't escape. No sign.

It must have been all out warfare! I feel really bad - it is a reminder to me that even though fish may coexist in tight quarters at the LFS, put them in a more natural environment and they can revert instantly to their "natural" temperaments.

Lesson learned.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever see the other 2 jawfish dead? Maybe they made another den somewhere else when the big one took over.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearly jaws are generally pretty peaceful and social, but the first couple of nights can be pretty stressful. A fish under stress does not always behave as it should. In this case when the lights went out the largest jaw felt he needed cover, as night is when the serious predators come out, the largest jaw threw his size around and kicked the less dominant jaws out, looking out only for himself.

Over time behavior will normalize and he will become more social and peaceful. There is still a chance.the littlest one found cover elsewhere and will take a couple of days to show up, particularly if he is afraid of the big guy and started a burrow in the back of the tank.

OP
OP
D

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen any signs of the other two at all. No sand moved or or other burrows started. I can see in the back of the tank as it is an in wall and I have limo tint that I can see through. I am still hoping though. I have not seen a congregation of hermits anywhere and have not seen any corpses. I don't have high hopes but I am still looking. It is a big tank with a lot of rock and hiding spaces.

I have a brittle star that I swore didn't last long but finally found him after 4 weeks then hadn't seen him for two months until the other night.

Hope I get a surprise but not holding my breath. Funny how the one that seemed the most stressed has settled in nicely and has really built a cool home right in front of the tank with 4 or 5 bolt holes. They are really fun fish to watch with lots of personality.

I had one in the past for over a year but my previous tank had over the back overflows an I never was able to cover the top well enough - I would find him in the overflows or even in the sump. Then one day I found jawfish jerky on the carpet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back