Ich...

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got done treating ich and leaving my DT fallow for 8 weeks. I added my fish but I left the blue tang in the QT for an extra 2 weeks. I decided to add him to the DT and guess what, after 3 days it gets ich. I removed him and put him in the QT would my DT be okay? Or should remove all my fish?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, now that sucks. Its back in the DT again. Once a fish gets it, the parasites eggs get there also.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just your tangs? Blue hippos, to my known experiences, seem to be the most acceptable to signs of ich. If it's just him, and the ich isn't horrible, and he's eating, I'd leave him in the tank. Moving from tank to tank and establishing territory will stress the fish enough to show signs of ich. But obviously if it's horrible, qt him.

OP
OP
D

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just your tangs? Blue hippos, to my known experiences, seem to be the most acceptable to signs of ich. If it's just him, and the ich isn't horrible, and he's eating, I'd leave him in the tank. Moving from tank to tank and establishing territory will stress the fish enough to show signs of ich. But obviously if it's horrible, qt him.

Yeah it was the blue hippo. I saw couple small white specs. So I immediately removed it cause i didn't want it to spread.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo used to have a couple spots and I worried bout it, putting it in qt and back and forth. I eventually just left him in the dt, kept him well fed. No signs of it now on any fish. Up to you but I'd let him be in the dt, just keep a close eye on him and your fish. Keep them well fed key IMO

OP
OP
D

daniel_lee95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo used to have a couple spots and I worried bout it, putting it in qt and back and forth. I eventually just left him in the dt, kept him well fed. No signs of it now on any fish. Up to you but I'd let him be in the dt, just keep a close eye on him and your fish. Keep them well fed key IMO

Is soaking the food in garlic good?

Aquanaut WA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only to stimulate poor apetiete. Problem with leaving any fish in an infected system, it will return. Many hobbyists don't go fallow long enough. There are more resistant strains now that need a 12 week period. Also a medication that has never failed me is 2 treatments in qt using quinine sulfate aka Cryptopro. Itinhibits ick & MI imbeded in the fish tissue and all stages of parasite, where copper and hypo miss. It is known for parasites to lay dormant in the host for up to 8 or 10 weeks.

Good luck, from an ol'salt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back