Snowflake Eel

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It absolutely drives me crazy when my fish disturb or pick at my coral...if they continue I normally remove them. With that being said, I am considering a small Snowflake Eel. I have read that they will constantly knock over coral that isn't glued down (which most of mine are not). Would it be a mistake for me to pick one up or do they eventually settle down and "behave" :) ?

mrred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I have been considering one also. Looking for info from some of you fellow reefers

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the fish you have ? Not an expert but I did my research and asked a lot of questions. I ended up getting a zebra eel, fish friendly so far and have wrasses in tank with it about 1.5-2 inch. I know snowflakes get big pretty fast , my Lfs had got one about month ago and just last week it was double in size! As far as I know if they can stretch there mouth around a fish they will eat it.

mrred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mixed reef, clown, bleenie, pigmy angel. Looking for some more excitement in there. But certainly not a fast growing fish killer. I will make sure before I putchase. Thanks

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are two pix of the eel from my lfs and my zebra in my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpg
    IMG_1719.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 325

mrred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That zebra is sweet. So whats deal on them jumping out of the tank? Is this common or just a caution?

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a problem with it trying to jump. I think it's more preventative, I do have a window screen on there and closed canopy. And I feed it every two three days and let's me touch it.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more concerned with the eel laying on top of coral and knocking them over or damaging them. I have had eels in past tanks but they weren't reef tanks (and yes, I speak from experience, if there is a way out, they will find it lol)

erictorres0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's knocks them down yes . Might break some sps they are kinda clumsy and when they swim up they kinda let there bodies fall coming down .

CBurgei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have has several snowflake eels over the years that have never bothered my coral but have eaten fish. I would notice that they would slowly start to disappear and after that I got the eel out of the tank. Once they get bigger your keeping fish might become more of a problem. I would consider getting another one but with a separate tank.

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white ribbon eel in my reef tank its pretty cool he goes through little holes in the rock. its doesn't really bother any of my fish or shrimp
but it is a pain to feed it ATM Superba Krill & live Ghost shrimp.

cmac1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eels

Another option is engineer goby. Much easier to maintain and easy to keep ,only drawback they need sand and can make a mess at times

Attachments

• IMAG0378.jpg
    IMAG0378.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 261

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white Eyed Morey. He is full grown at 15" and he does very well in my tank. I have him in my 60 gallon tank with his neighbors. 2 False Perculas, a yellow tang, and a Cleaner Shrimp, and hermits.

The shrimp cleans him and the clowns stay away from him. I have seen zero aggression toward anything in the tank. I feed him some small shrimp twice a week. He hasn't knocked anything over, but I see how he could. I don't have my live rock glued, but my coral is glued to the rock. No issues with that set up.

In my research it seems that eels for reef tanks are:

Golden Pencil Moray
White Eyed Moray
Snowflake Moray
Zebra Moray

I like the golden and white eyed since they stay relatively small.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always heard about how nice the Golden Dwarf Morays are, but only recently got myself a pair. They are awesome, but did eat my Peppermint shrimp.

eels-paired.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back