What is wrong with my humbug damsel?

chris_r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to keeping marine fish and have only been doing so for the last 6 months.

I have a 94L Kent Marine Bio and all my parameters have been fine for the last 6 months. My Tank went through the cycle without any major dramas and I didn't introduce any livestock until after the first 2 months. My tank is stocked with the following:-

5 blue legged hermit crabs
3 turbo snails
1 cleaner shrimp
2 tank bred clown fish
2 chromis
1 humbug damsel

This is all I plan to have in the tank.

Everything has been fine up until the last week where I have noticed my humbug damsel has a problem with its mouth. His mouth appears to be constantly wide open and over the last 2 days I have noticed that he has now stopped feeding. Please see pictures attached, any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thank

Chris

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 124

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:bump:

OP
OP
C

chris_r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the wee fellow is on the mend. He has started eating again and seems a bit more active or should I say back to his bullying self. His mouth is also a lot less open and almost back to normal.

Is it possible he could have swam in to the rock during the night? Can anyone confirm if it is common practice to have all the lights off at night so that its pitch black?

Chris

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the main lights go off on my dt the moon lights come on, that gives them enough time to find thier spot for the night, if it goes right to black i have seen fish get disoriented and scared and thats when theyre likely to run into something. my moons run for a couple hours before it goes dark and again in the morning before lights come on. hope this hepls

OP
OP
C

chris_r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the main lights go off on my dt the moon lights come on, that gives them enough time to find thier spot for the night, if it goes right to black i have seen fish get disoriented and scared and thats when theyre likely to run into something. my moons run for a couple hours before it goes dark and again in the morning before lights come on. hope this hepls

Yes that helps. Thanks. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back