3 clowns in one tank need help!!

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon hexagon tank. My current livestock consists of a pair Of occelaris clowns, a pink spot gobbie, a fire fish, and a bunch of diff inverts. As I would of guessed my occelaris clowns didn't host in the rbta that I bought so I went and bought a gold stripe maroon yesterday to host it. As soon as the maroon was introduce to the tank the occelaris pair started nipping at it and split his tail a little. I don't think the occelaris are trying to kill the maroon though cause they don't like hunt it down they only go at it when it gets by their cave. The maroon ate flakes as soon as it was acclimated yesterday but today it jut spits out the flakes after it eats. It hasn't moved from where it's currently at since last night which is at the very back of the tank pretty close to the top Of the water out of sight of the other clowns. I'm just wanted opinions and advice on if this is going to work or what's goin to happen because to be honest I was expecting the opposite I figured the maroon would nip at the occelaris pair.

carl page

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically from what I have heard.. Diff clowns don't do well together in smaller tanks...

OP
OP
Arcsenic

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that too Carl but idk I feel like if they wanted to kill the maroon it would be dead already ya know. Thy don't mess with it when it's out of sight lol. I don't know though I just wonder how it's gunna play out.

carl page

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tomato Clown in my 75 gal and placed two occelaris small in tank and the Tomato went into attack mode... I took them out and placed in small seahorse tank

OP
OP
Arcsenic

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch yea the bad thing is I don't have another tank so cross your fingers lol

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive not had experience first hand with this, but housing more than a pair inside such a small tank is a mistake! Your maroon fish is scared and stressed... I think of it like this... its a terrible analogy, but it fits... say you go to jail, and you have no homies in there to back you up... two dudes keep picking on you constantly every time you see them, and theres no where to hide in reality... its a small building... wouldnt that stress you out a little bit?

lol... just fyi no i have not been to jail... but i guarantee my experience there would be somewhat like your clowns experience! :-D

carl page

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't have another tank maybe your local fish store will take it in trade

OP
OP
Arcsenic

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea idk though since the tail fin on it is a little dinged up

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try not to get any money for it! It is precious life, not a bargaining chip... The well being of the living thing i feel is most important! They will almost always house a fish in need of a new home for free!

OP
OP
Arcsenic

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's true that's what I'm most stressed about honestly I just don't want it to suffer but like I said they are leaving it alone as of now there hasn't been any action since I put it in last night the maroon is kind of hiding though

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only a matter of time, my friend... they will fight again... It might take months or even a year, but im positive it will happen again... and ya never know, it could be worse next time! I would call your LFS and see what theyll do for you... If theyre anything like mine, all they care about is the well being of the animals they sell and take care of. And besides, the worst thing they can say is "No".

One thing to consider too is that maroons get more and more aggressive as they mature, so the tables may turn as well! I hear maroons are nasty fighters... so just keep this in mind...

Ive made questionable decisions with getting fish... i just got a lyretail anthias a week ago, its in quarantine... I thought it would do fine on just mysis shrimp, but read more and realized they need copepods as well! That led to me growing my own phytoplankton (this is my first try, so i REALLY hope it works), and then breeding copepods with the phyto... pain in the butt, truly! a 15 dollar fish ended up turning into a 90 dollar fish in the long run! Terrible! lol

OP
OP
Arcsenic

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yea I hear you. I know of a store close take it but the bad thing is that it just literally starting snowing and covered all the roads an I don't think I'll be able to get out today. Hopefully it can make it till I can get out

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least put it in the sump, or a breeder box (( inside the tank )) if you can. The longer you wait to remove it, the more damage that will be done -- to all the clowns.

Try not to use a net --- maroons have cheek spines that will get caught in it.

OP
OP
Arcsenic

Arcsenic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update the maroon is doing fine it's still in the tank and is not being picked on and is eating like. Pig. Tomorrow I will take him to my dads and put him in his tank anyways since I know it will eventually get huge and kill me occelaris clowns.

Joemg25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 90 with 3 clowns. They did great and still are doing great. I don't know about keeping them in such a small tank though. I've always been told never have more than 2 but it works for me. Good luck

meatballz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small misbarred tank raised nd he was in my 46 gal tank first then I got 2 black and white clowns med size from the wild nd put them in and all 3 of them got a long from the jump my lil guy loves hanging out with them nd they enjoy his company too they just need more room

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back