Biggest fish in a 100 gallon reef tank!

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys what is the biggest fish I could have in a 100 gallon reef tank. There will be lots of swimming room and I currently do t have any fish in the system. I have really good filtration.

So what is the biggest fish I could have in a 100 gallon reef system?

OP
OP
S

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't have a predictor tank. By I might consider a lion fish. But going along with that what are some fish I can keep that are big in a 100 gallon reef system? What is the biggest tang I could keep in the system?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Yellow, Cole, or Tomini, a Yellow Tang would get the largest of them. Go to that link, it tells you all the information there.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you could. But I wouldn't recommend it. The Moorish Idol should be left in the ocean and only kept by the most expert of aquarist. Certainly, if you have to ask about types of fish, you don't fit into that category. I might be blunt, but certainly not condescending.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Moorish Idol

Cupcake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do angels. I have a 125 with all Atlantic fish I catch in the Keys. Currently have French, Queen and Rock Beauty with the French being the largest at around 6-7 inches.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Moorish Idol should be left in the ocean and only kept by the most expert of aquarist.

+1

Even experts have difficulty keeping them longer than a few years. They should be left in the ocean.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest would probably be an eel of some sort from a pure length perspective. Remember the more a fish likes to move the more space it needs. Sounds simplistic, but it's really a valid issue. That is why lionfish don't need as much room as a tang (of the same size), they just don't move much! You can head over to liveaquaria and look at their max size and min tank size. They are pretty good generally and give an idea of max size and space needed.

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110 with a purple tang. You could also do a male Lyretail anthia or marine betta. Dwarf angels are always an option but many are reef safe "with caution". Kole, yellow, and tomini tangs could also work. I'm going to +1 on leaving the Moorish idol to only the most advanced hobbyist or better yet, in the ocean.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back