Dragonface pipefish experiences?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has experience with a dragonface pipefish in their systems? I recently noticed that I have redbugs, and I'm planning on adding one to my 180 to get rid of them naturally rather than the interceptor route. I hate to wipe my pod population because I don't want to starve my mandarin or leopard wrasse. I know that pipefish in general are poor swimmers, but I planned on turning down the vortechs so that he could get settled in. From what I've read, these are stronger swimmers than some of the other piepfish, but still not that great. If anyone has ever had one, please share your experience as to how well they did in your reef, and if they successfully eradicated red bugs.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for the evening crowd... any input would be appreciated.

Reef@holic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool fish, I had one for 2+ years till I sold my tank amd moved. Mine tended to skirt around the bottom half of the tank chasing pods and bugs and didn't really do a whole lot of actualy swimming. I have also kept African blue stripes and alligators but the dragon seems to def be the heardiest. As long as you don't have really crazy flow I think he will be just fine without needing to turn the vortech's down at all. He will definitely love Any red bugs you have and pods are too easy to replenish for cheap so if you think there isn't Enough between him, the wrasse, and the dragonet then get some more. However I think you will have plenty of food for all those guys in a 180. But awesome fish and really fascinating to watch. Hope this helps a little bit!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Reefaholic and thanks for the link luvmyacans! I think I'll ramp down the vortechs for a couple days to get the settled in because I've got two MP40s, two MP10s, and about 1200 gph from the return pump after head pressure.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try to contact jgonzz, I think that is his username. I am pretty sure I have read posts by him on it and that he is pretty familiar with the dragon face pipefish in reefs.

Gonzo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, I keep them in my display tanks they are very cool animals. I just got in 15 today and at least 4 had egg sacks. I keep them in my SPS tank with 2 mp40s and a Reefflo dart return pump, so tons of flow and they get along just fine. most I have seen all act like snakes and crawl around the rocks hunting all day. They do swim in the water colum but not very often as they get tossed around in heavy current.

In my mixed reef tank I keep them in with sunburst anenome's and they seem to know how to stay away from trouble

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I'll be ok without adjusting the flow? The ones they had at the LFS were pretty small, only about 4 inches long. Do you think they'll be able to handle the current even at that size?

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see how it handles your tank. Please keep us updated!

Gonzo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all 4-5" paul

I probably wouldn't hurt to turn down the flow for a few days

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I picked up two last night and they don't seem to be phased by the flow. They aren't really wandering throughout the tank to much during the daytime, but just moving about the sandbed. Last night they seemed to venture around to the SPS colonies, so hopefully they start taking out these pesky red bugs. Here's a few pics for those who are interested.
IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7400.jpg

IMG_7406.jpg

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super sweet looking fish! Does anyone know what kind, if any, defense mechanism they have?
Definitely an interesting looking fish. It almost reminds me of a snowflake eel with the coloration. I'm not sure if they have any type of defense mechanism, but suprisingly, none of my fish have harassed them at all. And that includes a real SOB clarkii and some wrasses that seem to bully any new additions.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On LA it says they can be harmed by pretty much anything even clams, crabs and nems besides fish so I wouldn't think they have any. I really want to get some of the these in the future. Very interested to see how they do. I had my mind made up on Janss' but these are a lot nicer looking.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep everyone updated on how they fare in my tank and how well they control the red bugs

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good luck with them I might give them a try to help control my bugs. They're cool looking too. I've read they do well in pairs but I wouldn't want them to completely take out my pods. Anyone ever try to keep just one?

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good luck with them I might give them a try to help control my bugs. They're cool looking too. I've read they do well in pairs but I wouldn't want them to completely take out my pods. Anyone ever try to keep just one?

You're more than welcome to stop by anytime to check them out. If you want to come see them before we go to the Frag Farmer's Market this weekend, my offer stands.

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one from Liveaquaria after reading this thread. It's a really cool little thing. I'm running my tank at the low temp. 76 to 77. I hope I can keep it successfully in a long term.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back