Trimming a Tang's... Tang?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would typically see this started with "I have a stupid question" but we all know there are no stupid questions, only stupid people... who don't ask questions... So here it goes:

In the case of dogs, cats, reptiles, and rodents when a claw gets too long or too sharp it can be trimmed down which will prevent cutting, scratching, etc. So my question is, can a Tang's tang be trimmed to make it less sharp?

This came up in a discussion with my wife as her new female clownfish that was added about a few weeks ago is still getting picked on. It seems it is taking longer for the tang and clown to get along so she asked if the sharp part can be trimmed a little to make it less sharp as the clown has no defenses against the tang. I am leaning toward no, but I wanted to make sure.

If it can be trimmed, what is the safest way to do it?

If it cannot be trimmed, what can I do about the agression?

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? What type of tang? My guess is the tang is too big for the tank, it's aggressive because it's trying to protect its space, the clown is invading it. Your likely going to want to remove the tang; but without knowing how big the tank is or any details like that I can't be sure.

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have been faced with agression in the past now matter the species or size of tank It can often be reconciled by re aranging some rock in the tank. Like above not sure what your looking at (tank size/corals/etc) but many fish want to protect their space no matter the size of the aquarium. Simply put the tang in a bucket. Do a re arrange of a few things (especially if he has a favorite area) then re introduce him to his remodeled home. If it has changed enough their defenses go down and are more willing to work out the zones in the tank.

HTH
Garnet

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even attempt it. You likely wouldn't get the fish to stay still long enough to do it anyway.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that in other places of the world they remove it all together. But I honestly think that this a risk not worth taking.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 125G tank. I think the agression is high only because the clown is the third largest fish in the tank. The yellow tang is currently the largest fish in there.

Rearranging the rock is a good idea, but I really like my aquascape... Maybe I can shift it around a little and move the clowns to the side of the tank rather than the center so they have their little space and the tang doesn't have to swim by their nem all the time...

Brettinteriors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape a hand mirror to you tank for a few days. It has saved many o fish in my tank. Might also try printing a few pictures of clown fish, cut the out and tape the, to the tank. I have found the mirror to be the most effective and often stops aggression dead in its tracks. My powder brown attacked himself for three days instead of the new morrish idol. Naturally two weeks later my x carpet ate the morrish idol.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape a hand mirror to you tank for a few days. It has saved many o fish in my tank. Might also try printing a few pictures of clown fish, cut the out and tape the, to the tank. I have found the mirror to be the most effective and often stops aggression dead in its tracks. My powder brown attacked himself for three days instead of the new morrish idol. Naturally two weeks later my x carpet ate the morrish idol.

I agree. The mirror trick has worked in our DT on a number of occasions.

-Terry

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this thread is a bit old, but I do have a bit of info on this subject. I have a Clown Tang that has been De-tanged so to speak. I didn't do it, but my powder blue tang did. At first, when they didn't get along, I noticed the clown tangs tang was sticking out sideways instead of tucked into his side. It eventually came off altogether. A week later, his other side was the same way, and that came off as well. He is an extremely aggressive fish so its just as well. Its been over 2 years and his tangs never grew back in. They may have come off while he was stabbing at the powder blue, but whatever the reason they came off and never grew back in. He is so mean that he still tries to stab even me when my hand goes in the water, but he just brushes against me real fast and probably thinks he is getting me. He is the undisputed boss of the 300g tank. As soon as my hand goes in the tank, he tries to swipe me with his nonexistent tang, its kinda funny but sad at the same time. I would have thought it would grow back but guess not. Anyway, I would never do it to a fish myself. Just my 2 cents.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back