Sick coral beauty?

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I've had my coral beauty in quarantine for 6 days. So today I performed a water change and about an hour after I noticed my coral beauty was breathing heavy. I thought this may be due to stress so I turned off all the lights. I'm starting to worry as I don't know why he maybe be doing this. I tested the water after the water change and these were the results:

ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Temp: 25.5
Salinity: 1.022 (my Lfs keeps there fish at around 1.020 - 1.021 so I acclimate them to a lower salinity in qt and slowly raise it)
Alkalinity: at least 8.5dkh

I'm completely stumped as to why the sudden change he's always been so curious swimming around breathing fine. But now he's breathing heavy and is in the top corner.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is now lying on the bottom of the tank and breathing heavily

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible a contaminant of some kind (ex. household cleaner) got into your water change vat? Since the behavior changed after doing the WC?

I would relocate the angel immediately to new water (not from your vat).

P.S. I will be travelling all day today, so hopefully others will chime in to help you.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the water from my Lfs. I also used the same water to clean my reef tank and everything in my feed is 100% fine

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are sure there wasn't a change in salinity or sudden temperature difference? Are there any physical signs on the fish? Like pinkish fin or skin spots?

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope there wasn't any changes besides alkalinity just a tiny bit. And nope no signs of anything on the fish

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being at the top of the water and not the bottom gives a little hope. How big is the tank it's in? And, how much water did you change?

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's now at the bottom is was upright for a big but now it's decided to go back onto its side. It's in a 15 gallon and I changed about 30%

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know what my first suspicion was: 1. Acclimation shock. 2. Chemical burn - was the water well mixed and at correct temperature and specific gravity. A five gallon water change for a 15 gallon tank would be considered a large change.

Fish do overcome those two problems a lot of times. If you suspect poison - I'd change the tank it's in.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually say it was 3-5 gallons. He was acclimated with a drip over a 2.5 hour period.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd actually say it was 3-5 gallons. He was acclimated with a drip over a 2.5 hour period.

The drip acclimation could have been the cause of the problem. The best way to acclimate a new fish is to match the QT salinity to that of the transport bag. Then, simply float for 20 minutes to temperature acclimate, and plop the fish in the QT. Drip acclimation can result in wide swings of temperature and pH, and with fish shipped overnight, exposure to toxic ammonia. It's an antiquated practice that should be eliminated from our hobby, IMO and IME.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you recommened to acclimate new arrivals if they are coming from a different salinity? Just float the bag and add a cup of water??

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best was I've found to acclimate a fish is to match the water it's been in and then to add saltwater for evaporation instead of RO water. That way it's raised over a period of days or a week if it's a .003 or .004 change.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohk well my qt system is at 1.021 and that's the same that my Lfs keeps theirs at

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back