Tiger Pistol Shrimp Hoarder

Tetra1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am here to tell you about my most favorite guy in my tank. I have a very active tiger pistol shrimp who has along with his accomplice goby has made my tank into their own personal condo complex. He has thieved all of my corals, plants, and rigid coraline algae in the tank and hoarded it into his condo. He rearranges the tank everyday and moves everything around. He is a very cool dude. I am wondering though, what your suggestions are for higher up corals in my tank as I would really like to have some color. I don't mind him hoarding because it is entertaining as hell, but, I no longer can see any of my corals and stuff and my tank is drab. Thoughts? Oh and I am not going to rearrange the rockwork just to dig them out. It took me hours to place my rock just so. I have a nano tank with 36 watt par 38 bulb if you were wondering. Thanks in advance. :frusty:

js96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tiger does the same thing! I keep smaller corals "out of his reach". Larger corals seem to be ok in the sand bed unless he digs under them.

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw my pistol shrimp for the first time 2 days ago. He came in on some live rock and I kept hearing him but he was alway out of sight. The day before, I put a goby in to try and draw him out. Well it worked long enough to get a pic of him. Can anyone I.D. him?
IMAG6616.jpg

OP
OP
Tetra1

Tetra1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a tiger pistol to me, but the pic is a bit fuzzy. They are fun, keep him around! :wink:

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love him. He is like a little bulldozer on speed. His (and his partner in crime, the gobys) tunnel openings change by the hour and they both have become less than reclusive. Unless my foxface is close at hand, they both will wander all the way out to the glass, and beyond. What a cool pair of animals to have in the community.

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely a blast to watch. I have a tiger pistol/high fin red banded goby and can sit and watch them forever. My favorite is to watch the goby emerge from his hole with his mouth wide open trying to look all bad. And the shrimp's are definitely hoarders. I haven't seen mine grab corals but he will grab any little piece of loose rubble and fix up his place with it.

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, any pieces of shell or bits of L.R. that are laying around end up down in the cave. So weird to watch. The shrimp is always SO dang busy...

Bowin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've seen mine grab my nassarius snails and take them hostage. I call the shrimp Joe Pesci and his partner in crime is a Randalli Goby named DeNiro. The names fit their looks and personalities.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back