Feeding a Harlequin Shrimp

ginamarie07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Harlequin Shrimp about 2-3 weeks ago to help rid of the tiny white star fish in my tank. Well, now that all those star fish are gone I purchased a Chocolate Chip Starfish for him to eat. The CC starfish has been in there about 3 days now, and the Harlequin isn't eating him! The CC starfish is typically on the tank glass high up, so can the Harlequin even get to him?!

I read to cut off the legs and feed the Harlequin that way, but I'm really not into having to chop off legs, lol. Ewww. Will the Harlequin eventually try and eat the starfish whole, or do I HAVE to cut off the legs?

He has to be hungry but so far nothing is happening...

Thanks!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Move the CC star close to the shrimp. Once the shrimp is on it it won't get away and yes the shrimp will eat it whole!

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stick the star right in front of my pair, they flip it on it's back and the star never leaves that spot again. Here are mine with their latest

He's about 3 times their size but they are strong once they get on the star.

You will be shocked how fast they eat them too. They have had this one for 2 days and have eaten almost 2 legs.
There was no way I was cutting legs off, it's bad enough watching the star struggle. Just make sure to watch them each day, if the star dies, get it out before it rots.

Last edited:

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your Harley sees the C.C. starfish, He will not let him get too far away... Keep the starfish from climbing the glass and it will happen.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back