Mixing with Cleaner Shrimp

4Ever the AquaNut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on doing a saltwater aquarium in the near future, not sure how near, and right now I'm spending the time asking questions before I start sinking the money into a tank and the other stuff. One critter that is on my must have list is the cleaner shrimp, which from what I learn, are less risky when compared to cleaner wrasse, and while it was mentioned two are probably the best choices, the scarlet skunk (did I get that right?) and the fire shrimp, which one would be the better choice, let me know. My main concern is making sure to know what to add to the tank that will live with the shrimp, not off of them, as in eating them. Not a big fan of live feeding, which is why I avoided fish like Oscars. Anyway, while I know which fish I would like to consider to add with the cleaners, like Chromos and Clownfish, other fish ideas, feel free to share, what I'm curious about is how many cleaner shrimp can I keep in one setting and what other inverts can be added alongside them, like other shrimp, crabs, (right now thinking hermit crabs), starfish, etc.
Last thing I need is to sink a bunch of money to replace any loses due to a bad mix, because compared to freshwater fish, the prices are like comparing the price of a sedan to a sports car. Saltwater creatures drain the wallet faster then the freshwater.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 Skunk cleaners- active, 1 Fire shrimp- shy, Starfish, couple Hermits and few snails on 29g with plenty of hiding places about 30lbs of Rocks with no issues. Shrimps have their own territory. They box here and there but nothing major damage.

Last edited:

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Peppermint shrimp (not a Camel shrimp) picked/ate a Hammer coral. Gave the Peppermint back to LFS.
Some shrimp are not Reef safe.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back