Treating sick Trachy

spacetop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

First time posted, fairly new to reef tanks, set up a 37G about 6 months ago.. I got a beautiful trach when the tank was fairly new, maybe 2 months into it, I was still stabilizing it then with nitrates jumping up and down up between 30 and 100. Now I'm on week 6 of vodka dosing but I still haven't reached the sweet spot, but my nitrates are stable at about 35 or so.

Trach was doing very well for first 5 months or so, last month it started retracting. I've found this article but I guess since I'm new it's a bit over my head, if someone could tell me whether this is something that can save my coral. I've covered it with a coke bottle top for past couple of weeks and fed it with some pellets which he seems to eat and he does expand a little bit during the day but I still see the skeleton, below is picture of his expansion. He also stopped showing his tentacles.. Need some advise here what to do.. In the article I mentioned above the guy snips some skeleton, I don't understand how it's done, do you take it out of water, will it hurt the coral? What do you use to cut the skeleton and how much, do I use a file to grind it down? Help me out here with details if you guys can. Thanks a bunch!

Here's a picture now and when I just got this guy, you can clearly see the difference:

DSC_8663.jpg
DSC_3589.jpg

OP
OP
S

spacetop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some water params:

Salinity 1.026, PH mostly 8.1, Nitrates 35, Nitrites 0, Phosphates 0, temp 80-83 (night to day)

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big difference. Can't answer about the cutting but your nitrates are very high. High nitrates can slowly kill coral, almost like s toxin. How often do you water chance? Do you use a skimmer.

OP
OP
S

spacetop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tab28 for your reply, I'm running BackPak 2R HOB skimmer, weekly 15% water changes. Yes I know Nitrates is a big problem for me, thus the vodka dosing, I think almost there on reaching the sweet spot, so let's say nitrates are going to be under control in couple of weeks, then what? I'm shooting to keeping them around 5. Would this be wait and see if he recovers or any particular recommendations?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back