Can I dip a chalice?

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a chalice a while ago from a local reefer, it was all browned out and not much to look at. He gave it to me for next to nothing because of this. Well after about a month in my tank it started to color up nicely. It's turquoise with pink eyes, I'm sure it's got a name because I've seen it before, just not sure what it is off hand. Anyway it has started receding and I'm wondering if I should dip it in iodine, or if chalices can handle an iodine dip. Don't know if it's a bacterial thing or not. My parameters have not really changed since adding it. I did take the gfo offline, and removed the optics on my LEDs, but this guy has been pretty much tucked under an overhang so I don't think it's the lights. Any thoughts?

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have found moved away from Iodine based dips in favor of Revive, Coral Rx and Melafix. About six or seven years ago I had s large collection of chalices and acans that were fresh imports. My collection went from zero to sixty very quickly and all of a sudden it was going from sixty to zero. I found a threaded titled "help me my chalices are melting" and based off the information there tried Melafix. Since then and the success I found that stays in box of tricks.
Hope that helps

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything in Coral Rx before it goes in my tank, helps keep the pests out, and seems to make sure the corals are healthy as well.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience in keeping chalices, sometimes they start to recede when my magnesium gets too low. If that's not my problem, I have had good success dipping in tropic marin pro coral cure, which is iodine based.

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def u can dip i always used coral rx but def check mag ,,,,imo my chalices thrived on higher mag .....but also check that alk also they tend to recede on very low alk ....hope u can find the problem and get that piece healthy again .

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do more damage you need to find out if your # are on level.
Receding from chalices can happen due to poor water quality or too much light or flow.

OP
OP
Scribe

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is high. Like 1520. Other params are spot on ca 450, Alk 9.4 maybe a bit high for some. Ph 8.1, potassium is the only thing a bit low, but that's getting a bit nit picky I think. I'll try an RX dip
I guess, give it a week and dip iodine/lugols

OP
OP
Scribe

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dipped in RX. I'll see how it looks over the next couple of days. I'll dip again in a week if needed.

How many of you have had luck with RX stopping receding tissue? I've dipped new pieces in it, but can't say I've ever seen it stop any type of infection. Hopefully it helps. Was glad to see this guy go from brown to nice and vibrant. Hopefully it sticks around.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my experience in keeping chalices, sometimes they start to recede when my magnesium gets too low. If that's not my problem, I have had good success dipping in tropic marin pro coral cure, which is iodine based.

What is considered Low Magnesium for Chalices?

Most people say you need 1350

Mine was 1700

But now has Dropped to 1450 (Still above the 1350 most recommend for general Reefing).

But I have had some receed.

Should I Dose Magnesium even though it is already very High (But not as high as it was before)?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def u can dip i always used coral rx but def check mag ,,,,imo my chalices thrived on higher mag .....but also check that alk also they tend to recede on very low alk ....hope u can find the problem and get that piece healthy again .

What is Low Alkalinity?

Everyone tells me Chalices do better in Low Alkalinity (Around 7 DKH).

Why do you say they do not like Low Alkalinity?

OP
OP
Scribe

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at some reviews for that melafix. Holy crap it's either great, or nearly killed their whole tank. I don't know if I'm that brave to try something with those kind of reviews. In fairness who knows how closely the directions were followed, but still it seeks risky. Hoping the coral RX bath will help.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is considered Low Magnesium for Chalices?

Most people say you need 1350

Mine was 1700

But now has Dropped to 1450 (Still above the 1350 most recommend for general Reefing).

But I have had some receed.

Should I Dose Magnesium even though it is already very High (But not as high as it was before)?

For me low was under 1100. If I was 1300-1500 I didn't worry. If ur mag is 1450 no need to dose to raise it, if you like it at 1450 then just dose to maintain that level.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't happen to have any tang picking at it do you? Sometimes all you have to do is stick back and watch your fish for 10 mins, you might find a devil in desguise. I had some issues with acans receeding in the past, come out find out my kole tang that it was entertaining.

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any dip crashes a tank it's gonna probably be due to user error and probably didn't rinse the dipped piece sufficiently and yep that will definitely do it..... and stop dosing.... do water changes and test. Only dose when needed to keep perams closer to normal.... I keep a good amount of nice chalices and have had great success. I use red sea coral pro salt and change water religiously. All elements are premeasured close to natural sea water levels. Testing got so monotonous I didn't test for 7 months until I ran out of salt for my 20 gallon, and only resumed testing after I got a new bucket to ensure consistency. Or a reef crystal and change water often (I do every 2 weeks). Then your won't have to worry, dose or spend money on "xyz" chemical supplements

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% bi-weekly is my "wc" schedule but I've read it's advantageous to do more frequent smaller water changes which does make more sense which makes perfect sense but may or may not work for you and your schedule, but ima give it a shot

Good luck

OP
OP
Scribe

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a yellow tang, but haven't seen him bothering the chalice or acans. I'll keep an eye on him though.

Water changes are pretty consistent 5 gallons a week pretty regularly, with Red Sea. Thinking of switching to the pro, but haven't decided yet.

DaniSLOelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Fingers crossed all is well. I had a tang nearly kill almost 30 different zoas mini colonies in my tank. Couldnt figure out why they were 'disappearing.' Took a long time for me to catch her in the act.

Sent from my iPhone using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back