Fungai coral advise

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this fungia plate coral that I nearly lost a couple months ago. It is now doing much better but has some algae growth where there was exposed skeleton. Do I just let nature takes it coarse or maybe gently peel or brush away algae?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410701319.481628.jpg

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the flesh will not grow where algae is. If it were mine i would use tweezers to remove as much algae as i could. Dip it and place it in a low light area. Algae can not grow if light is too low. While on subject of algae what is your phosphate level?

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent some time with tweezers removing the algae. I'll have to wait and see how it heels up. It looks good this morning though.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plates heal pretty fast as long as you can keep the algae off the skeleton. The care is the same but to me it actually looks like a cycloseris and not a fungia. If the center is raised. Fungia is completely flat.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plates heal pretty fast as long as you can keep the algae off the skeleton. The care is the same but to me it actually looks like a cycloseris and not a fungia. If the center is raised. Fungia is completely flat.

Cycloseris is correct, I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycloseris also lack a "scar" on the underside as they don't start life out attached to a rock as fungias do :)

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A google search shows there are 18 species of fungias.

Fungia, or plate corals, are free-living corals that consist of one large polyp and usually a single mouth. There are 18 recognized species of Fungia, all from the Indo-Pacific,1 and another 10 species of Cycloseris, a very similar, though usually physically smaller, genera of plate corals. A few species of plate corals are easy to tell apart, but many would be difficult for the casual aquarist (like me) to distinguish. A careful examination of the bleached out skeleton might be necessary for proper identification.

I found the terms seem to be mixed a lot while searching vendors sites at corals for sale.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. Cycloseris and fungia at quick glance look very much alike. The raised mouth area in cycloseris may not be evident when young. I have been to several LFS where they are mis-marked. That is not a biggie, since they are still plates and care is the same. Some LFS did not even know of cycloseris. I also have two diaseris plates, know commonly as fragile plates. One is very uncommon in color. Red and teal green. Kinda like a bleeding apple effect.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back