Feeding chalices

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With their smaller mouths I'm curious as to what everyone feeds their chalices.

Thanks all.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until night when their feeding tentacles are out and then would set a mysis shrimp on each eye with some tweezers for the small frags. The large frags I would just blast them with a turkey Baster. I did that about 2-3 times a week when I was hardcore.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it depends on what kind of "chalice" I'm feeding. If it's an oxypora and/or some of my echinophyllia species with really small mouths I'll use Fauna Marin Zoa food (powder), and if it's large mouth like my BGM or WM I'll feed mysid shrimp.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I have both the Fauna Marin LPS Pellets and the zoa food. Seems to me the pellets are too large but I know corals can do some crazy stuff, haven't tried the zoa food yet.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they seem to big just squeeze them between your fingers s little and they will crush up into chunks/dust. Just make sure flow is turned down and do right over what your feeding

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat about anything. Brine and mysis are their favorite. I mix a bunch of stuff with coral power. Turkey baster it on top of chalices the tiny mouths become big mouths. You will be surprised how that small mouth of a bubble gum or mummy eye suddenly rivals a mycedium. At night when feeders come out they will eat as well. At that time they are generally taking nutrients from water. But i feed mine in day with fish. If you don't feed with fish. They and inverts will just steal the food.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them Rod's with a turkey baster; also small pieces of raw shrimp if I have that available.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked a gold rush frag that is about 3/4 X 3/4" . No visable eye. How do I take care of it?

It may have eyes, but as you mentioned just not visible. It is not a common practice to frag chalices with no eyes. Feeding is the same. The eyes will appear and feed as eyes that are a contrast color or visible because its corallites. You may be surprised how large those eyes you can't readily see will get when it eats.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back