Potential LPS & Acan Pests unveiled. BIG JAWS. Must See!!!

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef!

I have been in the acan game now for a year and a half. I know through personal experiences and the stories of others that they are not as easy to keep as one might suggest. I have heard stories of 'the phantom acan pest' with pictures of tiny black dots but nothing real concrete. The usual course of action is Interceptor... but what's really going on? What is eating your acans? Why are they dying or looking stressed?

Could it be a bacterial disease? Very well might be... look for whitish slime begining to cover polyps that don't extend. It seems to me that bacterial diseases don't just happen. Something or some factor injures the flesh and then the bacteria invades the wound. One time I put a powerhead above an acan for a week or so (I actually never even turned it on). The fact that the middle of the colony was shaded caused the polyps to stop extending in that specific area. I removed the shade, full light again. I fed and fed and dipped in iodine next melafix but could not get the once shaded portion to extend its polyps. The bacterial disease set in and I could not stop it. I have spoken with the top acan people in the country who get their advice from Australia and they told me that the solution is to frag away the dead and dying portions and introduce the healthy portions to higher flow. So I did that, but I didn't cut away enough so it kept spreading. If something causes the onset of a bacterial disease, frag it right away and don't be shy. Remove any unhealthy portions to save the polyps that extend properly. Another time I accidentally dropped a colony on its top and damaged some tissue... a bacterial disease set in and I lost the colony. If you are fragging your acan, dip the fragged portions in a dip like TMPCC or Melafix to prevent the onset of a bacterial infection.

What if the acan has been unmoved and no factors have been changed to make you think you have stressed it? Could there be a pest eating it? Could there be a pest stressing it? If you feed it, could there be a pest eating the food withing the acan? Is this pest the reason for your onset of bacterial disease?

I had one acan colony that wasn't dying but some weeks would look stressed. The polyps on the edges were whitish but not the type of white where they weren't getting enough light. They were a stressed white look that raised a red flag. No bacterial disease but why were the polyps looking stressed? The rest of the acan was not extending properly, maybe a little more than halfway. When this happens my usual action is to make sure I feed that acan a lil more than usual (I usually target feed every polyp every other night). So I heavily feed the acan for a while and it begins to look better. Then I go back to my normal routine and it seems to be getting worse. Was it the light, no enough or too much? Or my tank chemistry or flow? Other acans around it were growing like crazy. If it were a condition like that shouldn't it just bleach out and die? I had it for 6+ months and its still with me. I was concerned. Something was happening.

One time I saw a worm living in the under skeleton of this same acan. I only saw it once or twice. I barely saw two or three millimeters of it. I never saw it completely come out to look for food. I never thought too much into it until now. I have read that bristleworms don't eat corals. They do! They eat uneaten food lying around the tank. They are carnivores for sure. I have seen bristleworms inside the mouths of corals looking for food. I remember thinking was the coral eating the bristleworm or the bristleworm eating the coral? This happened in a tank I have that I rarely feed. When there is no food left in the ecosystem, corals become the food. If you have a high population of bristleworms even regular feedings might not be enough and they will have to resort to eating the flesh of your sessile invertebrates. Corals cannot escape them. Thats why I keep my live rock seperate from my coral. Still its nearly impossible to keep all bristleworms out of your corals domain. Fish can control this issue quite well but fish also steal your corals food. I don't keep fish and it makes bristleworm control much more difficult.

I had some calurpa type algae growing of the undersides of a few acan colonies recently and I decided I needed to saw it off so the roots would not grow back. One of the acans that had it was the one I have been discussing with the worm. I removed the acan and took it to my Inland saw. After a few cuts I was reminded of this worm and finally got a good look at it. I sawed it in half! It was half out of its home and then went back in... I missed my opportunity! So now my sawing session became a mission to get rid of this worm. I sawed up the acan until I was able to remove the two pieces of the one worm. It was HUGE! It had BIG JAWS!. This was no algae eater or normal bristleworm. Why hadn't I seen it come out to eat uneaten food lying around the tank like the other bristleworms? Not once did I see it going for a piece of food. It seemed to be living inside the acan and gaining all its food from within the acan. Was this the reason why this particular acan was never quite as happy as all the others? It seems to me that it was eating the acan from within the skeleton or coming out in moments of absolutely no light to feed on the baby and edge polyps. When I fed the acan more, it would have more food to eat... I'm sure acan flesh was getting a little boring and the Rod's food mix I was giving it was appealing. If I didn't target feed that acan so much would the worm have eaten the entire colony and moved on to the next? Would it have eaten so much of it that a bacterial disease would have set in and finished it off? A lot of people have acans that have died for no reason. If you did have this worm you probably wouldn't have seen it. One thing is for certain... My acan was stressed for many months and there was an 8" worm living within it with huge jaws!

So this was my story that I was planning on typing up for everyone... until last night. Another potential acan pest revealed its face.

One of my most beautiful acans I started with 3 polyps and within 5 months turned it into 12. It was doing good but recently has begun looking stressed. It was too small to have an 8" worm living inside it. It was surrounded by small frags as well so no 8"ers anywhere around it. Again I thought about my tank conditions, light, chemistry, flow. I feed it as much as it will eat so its not looking unhealthy from lack of food. Well my plan last night was to cut it up into three portions and place them in different spots around the tank to increase the chances that I could save it. After I sawed it up I placed the frags in a small container with some Melafix to help them heal up. Melafix really does a number on small worms and flatworms. When I dipped it I noticed many small worms squirming around obviously dying from the dip. I have seen these worms around my tank. Sometimes they swim and when they do they look white and squirm through the water very quickly. There are many of them. My corals frags are mostly on plugs that are glued to 1/8" clear acrylic. I can see through the acrylic and can count many many of these worms living between the glass and acrylic. I never thought anything of them. I have read much about beneficial worms and so I naturally thought that because they are small, 1-2 cm, they are harmless. Then while the acan frags were being dipped and I stared at them I noticed one of these worms halfway inside one of the baby polyps of the acan. Oh no! Was this the reason why this acan was going downhill after months of growth? I pulled out my camera and snapped some pictures. Before putting these frags back into my tank, I pulled the worm out of the polyp and it seemed to be attached to the inside because it did not come out easily, some flesh/slime came with it. For some reason I still feel like these worms might not be bad but the evidence is irrefutable. It was inside the polyp of my stressed acan.

First here is the 8" worm (and the acan he was living in)

4-16-2010007-1.jpg

4-16-2010004-1.jpg

4-16-2010005-1.jpg

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the smaller, 1-2cm, worms

Look at this one inside my acan polyp

4-17-2010001-1.jpg

4-17-2010002-1.jpg

4-17-2010003-1.jpg

4-17-2010004-1.jpg

Those ones were in the dip dying

These ones are live shots in my tank

4-17-2010005-1.jpg

4-17-2010006-1.jpg

4-17-2010007-1.jpg

I am looking forward to hearing what everybody thinks.

:sad::xd:

Kris

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow they really eat acans?

Potentially yes, that is what my circumstantial and pictoral evidence shows.

OMG!!!! Looking at thing is making my skin crawl. :crossedlips:

I know what you mean. The thing is they are probably very common just the 'normal' style of reef does not allow for easy viewing of the small ones, the large ones don't come out at all.

I have seen the small ones in the bags with many frags I have recieved. I'm sure many more frags have had them but they remained hidden.

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you get rid of them? some of my acans just seem to melt away sometimes

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of my acans were fine for a while and then after a short time they started receding i lost all of them i started fragging them trying to save them and i found those worms in them really sucks they were really deep in there i got all of them from aquatic auctions i was wondering if possibly they had got them from there because one of my other acans was great until i added those....

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you get rid of them? some of my acans just seem to melt away sometimes

I'm thinking interceptor but I will experiment. Melting is probably a bacterial infection. But what caused it?

If they are closely related to bristle worms a coral banded shrimp or two should help take care/control them !!!!

Yes fish would also work at them but what about reefers like me who don't want any other creature in with their corals. A coral banded shrimp would assuredly steal food from my corals as I feed.

I agree the big one is a bobbit worm....The small ones could very well be larval bobbit worms...

I don't think the smaller ones are getting much bigger. They appear to be fully grown imo. You might be right tho.

Big one is a eunicid worm

I'm sure there are many different classifications of these worms... any more specific info?

all of my acans were fine for a while and then after a short time they started receding i lost all of them i started fragging them trying to save them and i found those worms in them really sucks they were really deep in there i got all of them from aquatic auctions i was wondering if possibly they had got them from there because one of my other acans was great until i added those....

Which worms did you find? We are talking about two diff types here.

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X-2 on a great article. Thanks for sharing the information. One quick question at what strength did you use the Melafix dip at and for how long?

Last edited:

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A coral banded shrimp would assuredly steal food from my corals as I feed."
they are easy to fend off and if they get rid of the pest it may outweigh the hassle

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Great article Chris.... Very interesting, an thanks for sharing...

Thank you it was a pain cuz the first time I typed it up I accidentally deleted it.

X-2 on a great article. Thanks for sharing the information. One quick question at what strength did you use the Melafix dip at and for how long?

I got the Melafix as a gift from a local reefer friend. He gave me the freshwater version which is 1% tea tree, the saltwater version is 1.25%. Just follow the directions on the bottle. My friend has more experience with it than me and he has told me on many occasions that its ok not only to use higher strength doses but to keep the corals in there for much longer than the reccomended time.

I've got more stuff for this thread... Lets work together to keep acans alive!!!

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your acans polyps are not inflating you may have a problem. Look for signs of recession and a white or brown film to start covering the polyps that don't inflate. This is a bacterial disease or protozoan disease. You can dip in either an iodine dip or a product like Melafix which is made from tea tree extracts. Both will temporarily stop the infection but imo will not stop it forever. The only solution is to cut away any polyps that don't inflate and introduce the healthy portions to higher flow. Throw away the decayed pieces. If you look and say it might have a chance even though its not inflating because it doesn't have the white or brown mucus on it yet you are doing yourself a disservice. Your infection will spread and you will end up losing the healthy polyps as well. Only keep the polyps that are looking perfectly healthy.

Here are some photos to show what the infection looks like

All of the polyps in all of these photos will die imo, they are unsavable

4-17-2010012-1.jpg

4-17-2010013-1.jpg

Note the arrow showing the white mucus

4-17-2010014-1.jpg

OP
OP
Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A coral banded shrimp would assuredly steal food from my corals as I feed."
they are easy to fend off and if they get rid of the pest it may outweigh the hassle

True, maybe after an interceptor treatment if it is unsuccessful in killing these worms. I appreciate your help and joining in this conversation.

The question is: Why do these infections start? It could be from the stress of sub optimal tank conditions. But what about those respected reefers who have shown success with acans and then all of a sudden start having colony after colony die?

Oiseau Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some bacterial infections that can transfer from fish to corals I forget what's it's called as well as some bacterial infections can come from Live rock as well! Also infections can lay dormant in your rock then bloom again in the future it may not hurt to install a quality ozone reactor that would also help if it's bacterial

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back