Dosing honey = "carbon dosing + amino acids"?

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of dosing a tank with honey before? I searched it up and the only post I've found about it was in 2009 by a Boston reefer:

BTW, addition of iodine and dilute honey (yes, those produced by bees) soluion is found to be helpful and efficient on maintaining the color. Sufficient amino acids which are the basic sources to build up a protein canbe found in honey. You can try to add to see if this method works!

Honey, which is rich in either sugar and amino acids, can be used as carbon source and protein synthesis source. For carbon source, might act as Vodka, should be helpful in removing nitrate and phosphate. As for the protein synthesis source, amino acids are essential compositions of proteins. Since the colors of the corals are lights emitted from the fluorecent proteins in the corals, providing sufficient amino acids should be efficient for the protein synthesis. The more the fluorecent proteins inside the corals, the intenser the color of the corals.

This is suggested and tested by myself. Any question or comment are welcome to discuss here!

Before dosing, I usually dilute the honey in fresh water in the ratio of 1:100 (honey/water). With the dilute solution prepared, 1 ml soultion is dosed per 25 gal (~100 liter). No negatives are observed to date. I start to dose honey since two years ago. Should be feasible to reef tanks. You can try this method with half the dosing amount in the beginning.

I took interest in it because there's a reefer that goes by the name "xjoyhugo1980" and in his tank, he says he dose honey into his tank and his picture says it all. I would try it myself but my nitrates are at 0 and I've been trying to get it up by feeding heavier + removing biopellets + removing p04 with GFO. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it/heard of it before.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the only information you have found comes from one single source, I dunno.....

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of the VSV method, which is vodka,sugar and vinegar. I don't know what the make up of honey is but maybe it works like sugar.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along ..... we are beekeepers and use our honey for all kinds of things - but never thought about it for my reef tanks! Guess I'm so used to thinking of it in terms of it's anti-bacterial properties that it never crossed my mind to use it to promote bacterial growth ...lol. Interesting concept, may have to experiment with it - with the large variety of simple sugars and amino acids it contains there may actually be a benefit.

On a side note, if anyone decides to try it I would definitely source some honey that is raw from a local beekeeper or reputable store - I would not trust the majority of commercial honey. Not only the processing but the influx of foreign antibiotic contaminated honey.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Winnie the Pooh was the originator of this type of "dosing".

J/k sounds interesting. :)

renoeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like it has potential, however I would worry about the way it broke down given all the physical particulates and potential for pollutants.

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love for someone to try and let me know how it works. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a spoonful of RAW honey everyday, it has great benefits for the body but not sure how it would work in a tank...

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm... As honey can sometimes contain dormant endospores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, I would have serious reservations about dosing my tank with it.

OP
OP
Starblenny

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along ..... we are beekeepers and use our honey for all kinds of things - but never thought about it for my reef tanks! Guess I'm so used to thinking of it in terms of it's anti-bacterial properties that it never crossed my mind to use it to promote bacterial growth ...lol. Interesting concept, may have to experiment with it - with the large variety of simple sugars and amino acids it contains there may actually be a benefit.
On a side note, if anyone decides to try it I would definitely source some honey that is raw from a local beekeeper or reputable store - I would not trust the majority of commercial honey. Not only the processing but the influx of foreign antibiotic contaminated honey.

I read a few years ago about honey and learned that it's full of antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties. That article persuaded me to start eating honey and skip the sugar. Recently, it helped me get through the tough flu season. I agree about finding raw honey; I learned that raw honey is better than supermarket brand honey because those honey are heated+filtered, so it looks 'pure' but breaks down any nutritional benifits. Then I read about "xjoyhugo1980" using it in his tank and then it just hit me.

I figured that using raw honey would be better than most aquarium Amino Acids products that is currently for sale because I figured that honey would be a better source of antioxidants/aminio acids (since it does not spoil assuming there's no water in it) and I'm not too sure what's really in an aquarium Amino Acids product.
I'm currently using Seachem Reef Plus and here's their "Guaranteed Analysis" for 1 gram (source, straight from seachem's website):
Untitled_zps3bf8d565.png

~~~~ Brightwell CoralAmino (source, straight from their website):
Guaranteed Analysis
Moisture (max) 99.00%, crude protein (min) 1.00%, crude fat (min) 0%, crude fiber (min) 0%

Ingredients
Purified water, proprietary complex of free-form amino acids.
~~~~
Curently trying to find Elos and Zeo's Guaranteed Analysis/Ingredients but no luck. I might shoot them an e-mail about it. If anyone have these products, maybe their packaging says what's on it.
~~~~~

Honey (from nutritiondata)
1 cup (339g):

ffff_zpsf5b85830.png

Has fairly close properties unless other aquarium compaines uses different mixture/ingreidnets

Last edited:
OP
OP
Starblenny

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm... As honey can sometimes contain dormant endospores of the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, I would have serious reservations about dosing my tank with it.

I guess that's why we don't feed it to infants under 1 years old. I'd imagine adults might be able to take it but in a reef tank hmm...

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us informed about this approach.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would that affect anything in the tank? I highly doubt that it can survive being in saltwater.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting subject, tagging along.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the 0.1mg copper be a concern? or is that a negligible amount? that is 100x the amount in the seachem..

OP
OP
Starblenny

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the 0.1mg copper be a concern? or is that a negligible amount? that is 100x the amount in the seachem..

Should be negligible. The nutrition facts for honey is based on 339g, so 1 gram out of 339g for honey, it should be like .000025mg for copper. I think like all type of dosing, "don't dose it all at once".

scrapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has been experimenting with this

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back