What salt brand are you guys using in your SPS dominated reefs?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Royal Nature for the past year and seem to like it a lot. I was using BrightWell's Neo Marine and like it too but found that my LFS was carrying this (new to me) salt brand. I am a fan of the evaporated sea salts like Red Sea and D-D H2Ocean salt of which I used for a couple of years.

Last edited:

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV and love how quick and clean it mixes.

+1 I love ESV.
My SPS perked up significantly when I started using it over the aquavitro salinity I was using prior. Mixes super clean with absolutely zero residue. Even after nearly a year of using it I still don't have any signs of residue in the mixing barrel.

It's a little more work but but once you do it a few times its not that bad and totally worth it in my opinion. I have read some reviews that its high in phosphates but this has not been my experience I have tested several batches and if it contains phosphates they are undetectable on a Hanna Checker.

mylittlejade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using D&D for sometime now and it seems to work fine. If my system was any bigger I would probably go a cheaper route because its a little pricey though.

Bryan

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using D&D for sometime now and it seems to work fine. If my system was any bigger I would probably go a cheaper route because its a little pricey though.

Bryan

That was the salt of choice for me for a while but wanted to change up to a good synthetic salt and went to the BrightWell Neo but ended up going back to an evaporated lower priced brand.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using tropic Marian pro and have had issues with alk levels so I'm about to switch. Good luck and hopefully I can find a salt off this thread as well.....

mylittlejade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^the pro is for tanks that run calcium reactors I think. If you don't mind spending that type of money look into the regular tropic marine. I really like the D&D salt I use. It seems to keep the taking running smooth and colors are great.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Royal Nature for the past year and seem to like it a lot. I was using BrightWell's Neo Marine and like it too but found that my LFS was carrying this (new to me) salt brand. I am a fan of the evaporated sea salts like Red Sea and D-D H2Ocean salt of which I used for a couple of years.

They don't make those salts by evaporating the water seawater. It's a total marketing gimmick and those salts are no more from the sea than any other salt.

I use RC, since I feel that salt brand is about the last thing you should spend your time worrying about in this hobby. Buy what's proven and cheap...

TighTT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using tropic Marian pro and have had issues with alk levels so I'm about to switch. Good luck and hopefully I can find a salt off this thread as well.....

Care to elaborate on what the issues are?

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using Aquavitro with great results.

I used H2Ocean and I was getting poor results with my alk levels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't make those salts by evaporating the water seawater. It's a total marketing gimmick and those salts are no more from the sea than any other salt.

I use RC, since I feel that salt brand is about the last thing you should spend your time worrying about in this hobby. Buy what's proven and cheap...

I know this is a corny video but whats your saying is that this salt is not evaporated that its mined? Red Sea Salt - YouTube A friend of mine toured the facility that evaporated this salt last year. Granted Red Sea, D-D and Royal Nature get their salt from the same facility but then they add their own elements to get their product.

Last edited:

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RC, have since day 1 and never had any issues. I dose, but driveway salt here in MI, and baking soda are pretty cheap lol I bought a 5g bucket of driveway salt for ~$15 2 yrs ago and it will last me probably 5+ more years :)

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a fan of Red Sea too but I can't seem to get it locally around here.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain old Instant Ocean. I dose everything anyway so I want the cleanest, plainest salt I can get. No vitamins, additives or anything else. I don't like the higher alk but my alk is low on my tank and water changes don't seem to raise it much.

I was a long time Reef Crystals user.

I switched from RC simply because IO is cheaper and easier for me to get. My sps are doing better than ever. RC and other salts have additives that I don't want or need.

If I could find a salt without the additives, higher calcium and lower alk than IO I'd switch to it.

Telefonica007

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attempted fluval salt. Its been 6 months and have had great results. My lfs mentioned using it in one if their accounts so I gave it a try.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RC. I would consider switching to IO, but that would turn my whole dosing regimen on its ear.

My alk is 9.3 - 9.4 consistently and Calcium is 425. I do weekly 10 - 15 gallon water changes.

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 112 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%

Back