Welcome to Reef Forum R2R
+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member bct15 is on a distinguished road

AEFW and praziquantel (prazipro) results

I noticed signs of AEFW over the last couple days, just after I eliminate redbugs (go figure). During the checking process I collected about 10-15 large AEFW (between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in length). I used interceptor spectrum to treat for redbugs which also has praziquantel in it which is also the active ingredient in prazipro. I read mixed results online of people doing intake treatment for aefw using prazipro and also using it as a dip for aefw, so I figured I'd test out how effective it was.

What I did: I saved 10-15 large aefw, some pods, some brittle stars, and some bristle worms and put them in a tiny mixing bucket. The directions for prazipro reccomend a concentration of 2.5 mg/L, I mixed the test container with a concentration of 7.5 mg/L and left everything in for three hours.

Results: the pods, bristle worms, and brittle stars all died within ten minutes of adding the medication. The aefw are all still alive three hour later.

Conclusion: at three times the reccomended dosage of praziquantel per prazipro directions will not kill aefw within a three hour period. The test water has now dropped to room temp and the aefw are still crawling around.

Registered Member creefer is on a distinguished road
    Great test...AEFW are incredibly resilient.

Registered Member bsagea is on a distinguished road
    Check out the numerous threads of those who used Interceptor to treat redbugs and then developed AEFW. It's amazing how many it has happened to.
    Barbara (bsa) George (gea)
    70 & 76 Gallon mixed reefs
    70 gal cube Clam Dominant tank in the making
    Always Feed your critters!

Registered Member jcdeng is on a distinguished road
    Good info, thanks for sharing.

Wrasse Freak

evolved is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bsagea View Post
    Check out the numerous threads of those who used Interceptor to treat redbugs and then developed AEFW. It's amazing how many it has happened to.
    They can't develop out of thin air...

The theory is red bugs somehow keep the AEFW population in check. What the mechanism is, is still unknown; whether it be eating the AEFW themselves or eating the eggs.

Registered Member pickupman66 is on a distinguished road
    From my First hand experiences with AEFW, they are some VERY TOUGH buggers. the ONLY effective treatment I have found of them is using Bayer home pest control. Insecticide. and even this just stuns them and makes them hurt. it doesnt kill them even after 20 minutes at the stronger strengths. I ahve seen them come back alive if placed in clean water. Good lord. BUT it does get them off the coral and when I do it at 2ML/ cup of water, they fall off pretty quick. just gotta look for the eggs.
    /><{{{{"> Lindsey <"}}}}><\

66 Gallon SCA Rimless - LED and DC powered.
    Copper Banded Butterfly, Six line wrasse, 2 Reef Chromis, Mated Pair Aussie Black Perculas.
    15+ years worth of reefing Mistakes
    Visit my Build Thread: http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/165580-pickupman66-s-downsized-simplified-66-rimless.html

Follow me on Twitter. @Lhuffhines

Registered Member

Mike&Terry is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by evolved View Post
    They can't develop out of thin air...

The theory is red bugs somehow keep the AEFW population in check. What the mechanism is, is still unknown; whether it be eating the AEFW themselves or eating the eggs.
    Hmmm... is it the red bugs keeping them in check or crabs that inadvertently get nuked along with the red bugs? Or perhaps a combination of the two?

Registered Member VirusAcro is on a distinguished road
    Try rps all out that thing is a amazing...

Wrasse Freak

evolved is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike&Terry View Post
    Hmmm... is it the red bugs keeping them in check or crabs that inadvertently get nuked along with the red bugs? Or perhaps a combination of the two?
    Could be either. Or it could be some other very small crustacean we're not even aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by bsagea View Post
    All I can say about it is I noticed a little bit of symptoms after first treatment, noticed worse symptoms after each successive treatment. I do think that either the redbugs or something that we I didn't know about was keeping them in check. The coral that is showing the worst signs do not have acro crabs in them so it was not acro crabs, unless there is tiny ones that we don't see.

I can tell you it is very disheartening after getting rid of redbugs to realize you have aefw a couple weeks later. I know that I still have pods and stuff swimming around so hopefully whatever it was guarding against them bounces back.
    Last edited by bct15; 10-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Maybe redbugs aren't even a problem, maybe the problems people associate with redbugs is actually aefw...