major bleaching of SPS and some LPS

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, i am having a major bleaching episode with my tank and i am having a difficult time finding the reason(s).

Tank info: 72 gallon with 20 gal sump
Parameters check on Sunday:
Spec Grav: 1.026
Amm: 0.0
Nitrite/ates: 0.0
phosphates: .25 (api test kit). just changed my GFO and carbon on sunday. (Phos is usually at this level, but fresh GFO did decrease it).
Ph. 8.3
Ca. above 500 (just cut off my dosing pump). this is high for my tank. i usually keep it at 420(ish). *My ca has been high like this for about 2 weeks now.
Alk. 11 (this is also a little high for my set up). i usually aim to keep it at 9.0.
Mag: 1400
temp about 80* very little swing and temp is usally this high throughout the year.

Tank has been establised for about 2 years now. i have lost a considerable amount of sps and even some LPS. i perform 10% water changes (about 8-10 gallons) about every 7-10 days. i am due for a partial change tonight (which would be 10 days from the previous change).

several months ago, i followed some poor advice from a guy i trusted (who had been in the hobby much longer than I) and switched all of my T5 (6 bulb setup) at the same time. i had some minor bleaching (nothing crazy) several days after i switched my bulbs, but then several weeks later, i started running into my problems.

chain of events, everything was running good for past 2 years (great growth on all corals - lps, sps zoas), no issues. changed my bulbs about 2 months ago and had minor bleaching, several (3 to 4) weeks later my bleaching got worse and continued to worsen. about 2 weeks ago i refilled my ca container and my ca levels got out of control (concentration too high - above 500) and i continued to lose more sps. any help or advice would be appreciated. i understand that stability is key, but i am concerned that i have some sort of pest or something. nothing is looking well in my tank anymore (hammers appear bleached, i've lost chalices, etc.) the zoas are the only corals that look healthy.

brandon85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add more Gfo than usual, also the lights are a key factor. This same thing happen to me. just run two bulbs for a week or two then increase them back to normal slowly. I lost tons of lps this way.

OP
OP
H

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the direction for the GFO. i would think that the bleaching would have subsided by now (since the lights are about 2 months old now), but maybe i am wrong.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back