Any Ideas if this coral has a name?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted pics of this acro and a few were wondering what it is. It's been called a tri-color but I've never seen one with colors quite like it in my tank and the two previous tanks the mother colonies are in. These pics are over the three months I've had it. Not in order
July NSR PS-9560.jpg
For Todd-6284.jpg
march1-6827.jpg

Attachments

• cropped more-9560.jpg
    cropped more-9560.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME a bonzai typically has a solid purple body with green polyps. Not a blue or green body. I've had the Garf bonzai and several other variations of bonzai's over the years.

Just a very nice Tri-color Valida then.............

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I just mostly call it 'Lorries Tri-color' as received what is now the 'Mother Colony' from Lorrie (Ipisces) in a trade a couple years ago. It is very different from my Garf Bonsai's and other Tri-color Valida so have been tempted to call it a Quad-color as on mine it has a bright Blue encrusting base which blends to the dark Teal body and then to bright Purple on growth tips with flo, green polyps. Also has much more of a Bottle Brush colony shape than any A. valida I've seen. First pic just before and second pic just after accidental fragging (Duanes Frag) back in January.

Lorrie's Tri-color  1-6-14.jpg
Lorries Tri-color 1-22-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I just mostly call it 'Lorries Tri-color' as received what is now the 'Mother Colony' from Lorrie (Ipisces) in a trade a couple years ago. It is very different from my Garf Bonsai's and other Tri-color Valida so have been tempted to call it a Quad-color as on mine it has a bright Blue encrusting base which blends to the dark Teal body and then to bright Purple on growth tips with flo, green polyps. Also has much more of a Bottle Brush colony shape than any A. valida I've seen. First pic just before and second pic just after accidental fragging (Duanes Frag) back in January.

Lorrie's Tri-color  1-6-14.jpg Lorries Tri-color 1-22-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Love the way that one grew. Perfectly upright and not touching any of its neighbors.

OP
OP
trido

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting your pics Todd. I agree that it is definitely a tri-color but not like any growth of valida I've ever had in the past.

Back