mounting wild sps corals

KritikaL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I've had some success with sps frags and some maricultured colonies, all growing with good growth tips and half decent colors, the next step for me was to try some wild sps corals, i've got a f ew in my tank atm, wild echinatas, some nice wild tables and a couple of wild 'sscs' they all have been sat in my tank for about 2 weeks now with good polyp extension and are getting much deeper colors in my tank.

However i am totally scared to actually mount them to any pieces of rock, but that i mean super glue is probs going to be too weak, and i've heard epoxy can be a bit harsh on corals. I don't really have anywhere that i can just jar it into and let it rest, so i'm just wondering what methods have people used in this situation, most of the corals i have are about 5-10 inches long and are about 2-3 inches wide, with quite wide 'bases' which makes them in my opinion awkward to mount. :D

Anyone got any ideas would be much appreciated.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With bigger pieces I still use IC Gel, but if mounting directly to the rock work, will put a smaller rock in between the coral and the rock work as a brace if needed until the glue sets and then remove it. Even the big piece will encrust enough to be stable over time. I also have mounted the bigger pieces to a fist sized rock leaned in a corner until the glue sets and then place the whole thing in its final position.

OP
OP
K

KritikaL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm i have lots of super glue, just a case of getting them onto the rocks, i think what i'm gonna do i superglue it to a small rock and leave them to encrust and then epoxy that small rock into a rock somewhere... so hard though :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back