GRAFTED SPS--let's see them

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not often do you get to see a grafted acro.

I got this coral some time ago (6-12 months ago?), and it has an interesting history to it. Was in a LFS that has some hard core sps reefers in it. One of the guys said he got this from RR usa originally, forgot name or had no name, not sure anymore and he brought it in to his store to sell it. So I indeed bought it.

Anyway, it started out bright green with purplish tips and was interesting. Here are a couple of "colony" shots (its not much of a colony yet). Apparently, my aim was not very good this morning, I couldn't get a centered shot of the colony so you get two pictures of the colony.

And now magnifications of two different areas to get a pretty good sense of the grafting or unusual coloring going on. It is pretty cool.

Close up of top left branch from the first colony picture:

Close up of bottom branches from the second colony picture:

So share your pictures of any crazy grafted sps that you have as well

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grafted Montipora sp. (Orenji)

IMG_0198_zpsf26dac2b-1_zps46b64374.jpg

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not often do you get to see a grafted acro.

I got this coral some time ago (6-12 months ago?), and it has an interesting history to it. Was in a LFS that has some hard core sps reefers in it. One of the guys said he got this from RR usa originally, forgot name or had no name, not sure anymore and he brought it in to his store to sell it. So I indeed bought it.

Anyway, it started out bright green with purplish tips and was interesting. Here are a couple of "colony" shots (its not much of a colony yet). Apparently, my aim was not very good this morning, I couldn't get a centered shot of the colony so you get two pictures of the colony.

And now magnifications of two different areas to get a pretty good sense of the grafting or unusual coloring going on. It is pretty cool.

Close up of top left branch from the first colony picture:

Close up of bottom branches from the second colony picture:

So share your pictures of any crazy grafted sps that you have as well

Thats so bazar!!! Really cool piece!!!

Muttley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is grafted, but this coloration has been taking over my Ultimate's Purple Monster over the past year.... Look marbleized
15312041420_f19219a300_c.jpg

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently two of my montipora are attempting to graft. They meet at the edges and are starting to grow together with no chemical warfare yet. The chili pepper is growing with the lip of the strawberry fields monti and hopefully the plate will adopt a few polyps from chili pepper and continue the growth pattern, carrying along with it some of the characteristics of a chili .
Not often does an encrusting and a plating monti graft so it'll be interesting
20141010_213729-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shpongled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this piece up from a LFS. Colors are blue and green. Sorry for horrible pics, quick iphone pictures. I will try to snap some better photos when my lights turn on tomorrow. It looks purple in photo, but it's blue in person.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i saw a comment and pick of the gafted acro in watchguys sps thread. It made me think of a coral frag i have in the rack. A couple pieces from a validea broke off during maintenance and i picked them up and glued them to plugs. I try not to neglect the opportunity to aquire frag when mishaps happen. Anyway here it is what do you think.

Screenshot_20161230-120815.png

Last edited:

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wet thumbs Tina’s pink o that has grafted and turned into something very interesting. I’ll upload pics later

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back