Montipora genus tank

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing a monti-only tank, there are really so many varieties of montipora that I think it would be really neat. Here's what I'm thinking:

M. capricornis
M. setosa
M. stellata
M. digitata
M. undata
M. spongodes

Can anyone think of other species to add? Or suggest specific varieties to try? What special considerations might I have to... consider... if I do this? I've heard that potassium and magnesium are both important with monti's, and I would assume this would be amplified in a monti-only tank. Thoughts?

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of this once. I like to many acros to dedicate a tank to just montis. It seems they encrust very fast and would fill in nicely butI hope to see pictures!! What size tank?

OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
93 gallon cube. I think I'll have to go with fewer encrusting varieties, not a ton of rock in the display

OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting off with an encrusting rainbow monti and a setosa, thinking about getting a green stellata as well. But this means I'll also have to get rid of a few corals...

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome to me post pics gonna be tough to not add other types of coral but think it would look great grown out

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this idea!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool! I currently have a Montipora Digitata specific 100G tank (About five months old). Best of luck and I look forward to seeing more of this tank!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to think it will be an awesome themed Reeftank, and if/when you are South of the border feel free to pay a visit and would be happy to gift you a start of anything I have that's not already in your system.

Cheers, Todd

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see the pics when you get it going. Try to place them so that colors contrast and depth is achieved :)

OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone, I went ahead and ordered a nice setosa and stellata... here are the pics, a friend is holding them for now. Had what I think is a bacterial infection problem and just lost two thirds of my fish :(

Attachments

• setosa.jpg
    setosa.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 517
  • stellata.jpg
    stellata.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 547

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubs' Lavendar (not sure other names but have heard others) one of my faves. My acro crash has left me with almost all monti's. I have every monti I seen except green spongodes and some I have no clue what they are.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanted to do a plating/cap style dominated tank once but like EW_fish i too love acros.
I love montis and have a few (That I had to have) and a few more I really want "that will stay in the frag tank" They just over come everything and grow so fast that acros have no chance lol unless you have a big tank unlike me

OP
OP
M

mikellini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orenji is a name, not a species btw.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

So the beginning stages of this tank will be an encrusting rainbow, an orange setosa, a green stellata, and probably a forest fire digi, superman digi, and green plating cap. Have a few other corals to get rid of to make room for more :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back