$500 efflo dieing

armani4o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont know if this is the right place to post this, but i had a tank crash and had a buddy hold this piece for me now it looks dead or near dead... it has lost all color is brown with some alage coming out the tips and it looks like something is eatting it from the top down at the tips looks like it was eatten right away i have it in my 10gal atm till i figure out what to do......he was also holding a strawberry short acro for me it is also brown and cant see any polpys but doesn't look eatten PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

efflo pic
40breeder001.jpg

OP
OP
A

armani4o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 some ppl look at this post and no one on this site has any idea how to save this piece

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would trim off all the dead and eaten parts. check for pests. and put the rest of the surviving colony in another reefers tank.

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like something has been nibbling on it. I'd put it in good flow and it will recover.

OP
OP
A

armani4o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i trim it first than put in in good flow also i diped it in revive and just found pods

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it doesn't look like any pest to me, more like ALK burn or shock. How long was the coral in your buddies tank?

Its going to be very hard to tell exactly what s wrong with the coral, as it was moved over into another setup. The resulting issues could be from the crash, the move, or a combination of both.

For now lets focus on trying to save the coral and not the cause as it may be impossible to find the culprit with so many variables.

My first instinct would be to frag off a few small pieces and have another reefer or fish store hold them for you. This way at least you will have backup encase the main colony dies. I would move the remaining colony after fragging into a lower lit section of the tank with proper flow. You say that you are hold the coral presently in a 10gl tank? Where is this water from and what are you using to support the coral. (flow, light, etc)

Sonny

OP
OP
A

armani4o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the 10 gal I have t5 setup 2 bulb with a k nano tank has been up for a while I could move it to a 40 breeder that has a mp40 and current use nova pro 6 bulb setup the 40 has a few pieces of sps in it that are doing great

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the issue occurred some time ago and has since done a lot of healing. I see coraline algae covering the tips and bulging areas where the coral has begun to grow back over itself.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
deffinitely looks like a alk shift that caused alk burn, usually pests eat from the underside out of the light. I t could be a fish, some of my angels love SPS

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 114 77.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back