Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread guys love the awesome pics and the info being put out

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in awe Rossco. I can't imagine your effluent drip on your reactor on that tank. You must go through a carton of media every 2 months. Lol. Very nice and please keep us posted on the LED's.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sonny-absolutely stunning tank. Love the openess of it. What do you have on the back wall to make the glass look like that? It looks like a cloudy blue/grey? Gives the illusion of being in the ocean and the depth of the water trailing off. It is great. Would appreciate if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely a lightweight in this discussion, but I've had my 180g up for just over a year and it was first real attempt at keeping SPS. I've been successfully keeping saltwater tanks for over a decade, but previous reef tanks were LPS & Zoa dominated. Over the first year, my growth and coloration has been good and my tank is quickly filling in.

Dosing:
For dosing, I dose 2-part via dosing pumps and magnesium manually. Once every month I adjust my dosing amount according to the system needs. I run a ULNS, so I've found that 15 drops of Brightwell's CoralAmino brings out the best coloration in my corals and prevents the pastels found in starving corals found in some tanks. I also dose 3 drops of lugols each day due to it's potassium content to help maintain blues & purples in my tank. My ATO runs through a kalk reactor to help keep Ca & Alk steady.

Water Quality:
I do 40 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks using RC salt. As far as filtration goes, I run a fuge with a DSB, Chaeto, and LR rubble. My skimmer is a Octopus Extreme 200 upgraded to a Bubble Blaster 3000 pump. I run WM EcoBak, Rowaphos, and Carbon in reactors 24/7.

Lighting:
I run 450w of LED (ReefFiltration Gen2 fixtures) along with 468w of T5. I'm confident that the LEDs can grow coral on their own, but I like having the piece of mind with the T5s producing a broader spectrum. The T5 fixtures houses 12x39w bulbs currently comprised of six ATI Blue+, two ATI Purple+, two UVL SuperActinic, and two Current 10k. Here's my light cycle:
7:00 AM: Actinic T5s ON (Actually two UVL Superactinic & two Blue+)
9:00 AM: LEDs ON
11:30 AM: Daytime T5s ON
1:30 PM: Daytime T5s OFF
4:30 PM: LEDs OFF
7:00 PM: Actinic T5s OFF

Coral Feeding:
I broadcast feed a mix of ReefNutrition Oyster Feast & Coral Frenzy every three days. Once per week I feed my tank with baby brine shrimp. Although this is predominantly for the LPS & fish, some feeder response is noticed in the SPS as well, so I'm assuming that they are feeding on the BBS.

Parameters:
I keep salinity at 1.026 and my temperature range is 79-80 F. Calcium is kept in the neighborhood of 430-450 and I keep my alkalinity at 8 DKH. While this is on the low end of preferred alk levels, I've read that maintaining higher alk levels in an ULNS can be probelmatic. Magnesium is kept between 1300-1350 and pH fluctuates between 8.3-8.5 depending on the time of day. I strive to keep nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia at zero, but many aquarists have noticed improved coloration when maintaining NO3 levels in the 5-10 range (I offset this loss of color by dosing amino acids and through supplemental feeding of my corals). I try to keep phosphates as close to zero as possible and they usually measure between 0 and 0.02 on a Hanna calorimeter.

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3638.jpg

Are you dosing 15 drops of coral amino daily? Great thread. So so valuable you guys. Thank you.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing 15 drops of coral amino daily? Great thread. So so valuable you guys. Thank you.
I dose the AAs every other day. The Brightwells coral amino isn't all that concentrated, but I have some Zeovit amino acid concentrate that I'm going to try when I run out of the Brightwells. Supposedly the dosing on that is 1 drop per 25 gallons, so I'll see how it compares as far as effectiveness & value.

Last edited:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Roberto. Welcome to R2R! Please share your strategies and details as listed in the 1st post of the thread. You have a beautiful setup and we would love to know more about it! : )

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Roberto, stunning! Welcome to R2R!!

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roberto, that is sick (in a good way)! Welcome and do tell more about that system.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone for all the positive comments. The effluent rate on the Geo 618 is 150 ml per minute with a bubble rate of 110 bubble per minute and an internal pH of 6.65 -6.7 , pretty much have it maxed out. I go through about 2 pounds of media per month. In the 75, if the alk crept up and I shut off the reactor in the AM to let the alk come down, 12 hours later the alk would have dropped 2 points. I am so looking forward to the stability of a larger system. The corals all seem to be happy and are coloring up again under the LEDs. I am still not quite done dialing in the aquascaping, and am hoping to be able to post some pictures in a month or so.

agsansoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roberto's tank looks too clean .... Even the frag plugs are bright white. LOL

Roberto Denadai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

My tank is very simple. I have a bk 180 , I am dosing balling to keep alk, ca and Mg. I do 10 percent per week water changes. My flow is a MP 40, MP 10 and Tunze 6045.

I´m using here a white acrylic in the bottom and all my rocks are made with plastic. I also have 3L of siporax in my sump and I am using the new dimmable Sunpower 8x39 ( 2x white , 4x blue and 2x pink )

That is all guys. I do not dose nothing here. Keep it simple.

The coral colors is not good yet because this tank has just 30 days.

geral-1.jpg

geral-2.jpg

geral-3.jpg

Best Regards

Last edited:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the clean tank. Looking forward to seeing it when the corals grow large. The acropora on the very far right by the glass looks very nice.

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my old tank
110 acrylic
kalk in top off
skimmer run 24/7
small fuge in sump
flow was 2 vortechs mp40's
2011-04-16_17-46-54_402.jpg

this was early on in the tank
DSC_0959.jpg

Last edited:

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my new tank
70g cube 30*30*18
40g frag tank
lighting
2 ai sol blue

2 part dosing
b-ionic
skimmer
atb elegance custom
flow(almost 80x turnover)
2 tunze 6045
2 tunze 6055
return
tunze 1073.
now
DSC_0059.jpg

was
DSC_0381.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back