Have You Checked Your Alkalinity Today?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the most important parameter to check in reef keeping is alkalinity, (assuming your tank is cycled and your salinity is in check). It's too often over looked in this hobby but possibly THE most important parameter to keep stable.

When I was new to reef keeping and coming from a freshwater background as many of us did, pH was pressed over and over as a very important parameter to monitor but with no mention of how dosing supplements to raise or lower pH would affect alkalinity. Adding commercial buffers to increase your pH will only provide a temporary boost in pH (and probably other things we don't want in excess) while driving alkalinity to unacceptable levels. Alkalinity is also the first parameter to be used up by stony corals, clams, coralline algae, etc. Many LFS and online vendors stress adding Calcium supplements to maintain levels but still no mention of dosing for alkalinity even though it's used up more rapidly than Calcium. Even without a high load of stony building corals alkalinity can quickly fall to unsafe levels if not maintained.

It's also one of the easiest parameters to maintain by dosing baking soda. Regular baking soda dissolved in water is an inexpensive way to maintain alkalinity. This can be done manually, with a dosing pump or through other means such as an auto top off system. Just make sure not to dump it directly on sensitive livestock. Dose into the sump so it can mix is a safe way to add alkalinity to your system without harm.

You don't want swings in alkalinity either so the more stable you can keep it the better. Too fast up or down can cause serious problems for corals especially sps.

Most importantly, test for alkalinity and test often. I test twice a week on my system and if I'm making any changes I test it everyday, (it only takes less than a minute). Also test your newly mixed saltwater especially if you're buying it from an outside source such as a LFS. I've seen issues with low alkalinity in new buckets of salt mix and one bad batch could ruin your tank.

Test kits are fairly accurate and inexpensive so if you don't have one, run out to your LFS or shop online, pick one up and start testing today!

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up!!!!

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt agree more!! I test ALK every week along with PO4. Thats all I test for. Havent checked my calcium in 5 years, as long as your ALK is in line the calcium will fall in line with it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a safe mix for dosing with baking soda? How many tsp's/gal to raise alk.?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So true and great reminder!

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a safe mix for dosing with baking soda? How many tsp's/gal to raise alk.?

Check out the reef calculators on bulkreefsupply.com or
Google "Randy's two part recipe". Good info from those sources.

Even if you're following their instructions be sure to take it slow, test often and adjust from there.

NU2REEFIN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ALK every night, all my other parameters stay in check with weekly water changes. This thread is true and very important to understand.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this. Alk is the most important paramiter to keep stable by a long shot, especially in an sps tank.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is a balanced additive. It adds calcium and alkalinity in proportion to how it's used. It has limits though. Larger tanks (100+) with heavy sps, clam load may be out of Kalkwasser range. If kalk isn't keeping up with alkalinity demand then baking soda can be added but not in the same container. The ingredients will precipitate out of solution. Separate dosing is necessary.

In addition;

Alkalinity and calcium are used up in relation to each other. For every meq/l of alkalinity used only 20 ppm calcium is used, (7 ppm calcium per 1 dkh of alk). Kalk adds this back in the proportion as it's used. Your alk can drop to unsafe levels while your calcium may not appear to drop much if any using hobby test kits.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I test three separate systems daily! Pretty important thing to stay on top of.

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I'd like to add one question. If your alkalinity gets to high, what's the best way to lower it? I run bio pellets and keep my alk around 8.1-8.4. Sometimes it'll jump with a water change or not staying on top of my testing with a reactor. I usually turn my reactor off for 2-3 days until the desired level. Is there a better way?

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your alkalinity gets to high, what's the best way to lower it? I usually turn my reactor off for 2-3 days until the desired level. Is there a better way?

I use baking soda in my ATO. If my alk creeps up I switch out the baking soda and RO/DI mix for just plain RO/DI. Once it falls to acceptable levels I add the baking soda again. In your case with a reactor turning it off until alk drops to desired level is probably the best method.

Always be careful not to let it drop too fast or two far either. Sometimes just cutting back on the dose or reactor is better to keep it from falling too fast.

R&J_Mako

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 28 gal AquaEuroUSA saltwater kit. The other day, I checked the Salinity and it was creaping up there out of range on the hydrometer.

Oh my, I remembered some basic info the store told us. There was some room to add tap water, so I got a small pitcher from the kitchen and added one pitcher, then waited a little bit for the pumps to mix it all and tested again, the salinity went down back to 1.025.

Our fish now could be maxing out the tank. What is the formula? 1 fish per 10 gallons or 1" of fish per 5 gallons.

We currently have 2 damselfish and 1 sand sifter sea star. We want the imfamous clownfish. Nemo.

Rhonda tells me, "I don't care what the formula is, I want Nemo."

"Yes Dear..."

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local swimming pool store, get a 50 pound bag for $29.95, has to say suitable for drinking water, bake in an oven 350 deg for 2-3hrs it will change from sodium bicarbonate to sodium carbonate, and have alk for a few years of many years :) Mix 1/2 cup to 1 gal RO.
Here is a link An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

And some of my photos.

DSCN4175.jpg
DSCN4176.jpg
DSCN4177.jpg
DSCN4190.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local swimming pool store, get a 50 pound bag for $29.95,

Or for those of us without laboratories...pick up a box at Walmart for $2. :xd:

Good thread like always ritter, do another one for ca and mg

Thanks Steve, appreciate the input.

BRS is a good place to order Soda Ash for those who's wives won't let them cook a pan full of baking soda in the kitchen.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back