Schnitzels Shallow 250 Leemar

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's officially started, my new tank build.

Tank: Leemar 3 sided starphire 96"x30"x20". External overflow recessed Eurobrace. Returns through the top. No holes or overflow on the back wall. 3-1.5" Bean Animal style drains. (Thanks to Chad @ Coral Gazers for helping me order the tank, should be here in a week or two)

Skimmer: Vertex alpha 250
u7y3eser.jpg

Sump:
Advanced acrylics 60"x24"x16" 4 chamber with a refugium and a fish time out/holding section.

Flow:
I'm still between two pumps. I will either be running a Jebao 12000 or a Laguna 4200. Either pump will be ran submersed in the sump. I will be running a manifold as well.
2-Vortech MP60s and 1 Jebao WP60

Lighting:
DIY T5/LED HYBRID 150-3w Phillips Luxeon LEDs & 6-80w T5s. All controlled and dimmed via my apex. Meanwell ELN 60-48d drivers and Coralvue 660 ballast for T5s

Calcium Reactor:
Korallin 1502 controlled by my apex.

Extra:
-Full apex with Temperature, 2-PH probes, and salinity probe.
-Cadlights Bio Pellet reactor
- DIY led refugiun light.
- 120lbs of Caribsea Special grade reef sand
- I'm planning on a real minimalist rock scape with maybe 100-200lbs of Real Reef Rock. Or maybe that dry rock that BRS sells.

Tank will be primarily SPS and some nice LPS. I will keep only a couple of my fav zoos. No more softys for this tank. I'll also have a few clams. But I want to keep the sand bed really clean. No frags laying all around. I won't be using any rocks from my 180. I have a bad bryopsis outbreak that has been driving me crazy.

I'll start posting pics as the tank and equipment progresses.

BIG THANKS TO CHAD @ CORAL GAZERS FOR HELPING ME OUT!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this build!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEEEET! Looking forward to your build here, sounds like an excellent game plan to a spectacular SPS Reef. BIG ? is this going to be in addition to your other tank, a Softy, zoa/paly system....... if so I need your spiel so I can talk my wife into letting me keep the 125g up and running after I pull the trigger on a LARGE Reeftank in near future.....lol

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEEEET! Looking forward to your build here, sounds like an excellent game plan to a spectacular SPS Reef. BIG ? is this going to be in addition to your other tank, a Softy, zoa/paly system....... if so I need your spiel so I can talk my wife into letting me keep the 125g up and running after I pull the trigger on a LARGE Reeftank in near future.....lol

Cheers, Todd

No sir. The 180 is a mixed reef that I made primarily SPS. Then I got a bad case of AEFW. I pulled out all SPS and only kept Lps and softys. Well the zoos and palys kinda took off in the past few months. But I'm bored with them. They grow so fast, I don't want them taking up space for my sticks. I kept all my sticks in a qt tank. I've been AEFW free for the past 6 months.

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
esa5eqa6.jpg

ezabe4un.jpg

That's what $500 in DIY LEDs looks like. Steve's LEDs are always top notch. If ur gunna DIY, I would buy from him.

I figured I'm gunna have about $1000-$1200 invested in my lights. If I had gone with 2- 48" Hybrids it would have cost me about $4000ish. So u tell me what sounds better to u? Lol

I could have done 6-80w retrofits ($400) + 6 AI Hydras ($2400)
$2400+ $400= $2800. So saving $1000+ for my lights sounds good. Shoot that paid for about half the tank.

Hot Dogs are GOOD!

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the tank came in with wrong dimensions. It was supposed to be 96x30x21 and it came in 96x30x25. :(

What a bummer. I guess it was sort of a blessing. I was able to look over the tank and inspect it a bit. I noticed that on the external overflow, they put the acrylic teeth on the inside of the tank. I'm sure it's really easy to mount that way, but it looks like poo. My whole goal was to have a clean smooth back wall. Makes it easier to clean algae and scrape coralline. No holes for returns and especially no acrylic overflows. So on the new tank they are putting the teeth inside the overflow box. Something like this:
tyqa5ura.jpg

I'm super busy with the holidays and all, so I guess I'm not that bummed that I have to wait 3 more weeks

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some cement poured this week on my side yard. I'm gunna move my shed just outside the window right next to the tank. I'll have a mixing station with a 65g ro/di, and a 65g for salt water. (I'll probably just keep 50g at a time that way I can just dump a whole bag of IO in at a time. I currently have 1-1/4" line coming in from outside. It's my ATO line. I'm gonna run 2 more lines through the house. These will be for water changes. I'm planning on hooking up a pump that will take water out and put new water in at the same time. That way I will just put the pump on a timer when I want to do a water change. It will be super easy.

epujabet.jpg

y4a7a2uq.jpg

Ran a water line right next to where the shed will be.

The wall on the right is where the new tank will be sitting. Just outside the window will be my shed with all my water change junk
enugyhap.jpg

That's my old 180 that I have centered in my living room. When I get my new tank setup I'll slowly transfer livestock over and then breakdown my 180. I didn't wanna do a transfer all in one day, it's so hectic and if something goes wrong ur kinda screwed. This way I can take my time and do it slow.

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fun build, I will be following along!

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design of my sump. Won't have the Dimensions until I get my stand built.

Planning on it being 60"-72"

du2y2upa.jpg

Might do 3-7" filter socks instead of 2.

Any input?

Figured I'd keep the DSB separate so I can take it offline if/when need be. Also want to keep it separate to keep light away from the sand, prevent algae growth. I can also use it as a holding spot for new fish or fish that might need a time out.

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ynevuved.jpg

hejama9a.jpg

a4etuvu5.jpg

aqagugur.jpg

te9ehuzu.jpg

Got 15 yards poured today. The side yard is where my shed/water mixing station will be going. It's also where I plan to put my water change setup. Turned out pretty nice. I also extended my drive way a bit too while I was at it. I love concrete. So nice!!

OP
OP
SchnitzelReef

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting me tank tomorrow.

Picked up another Coralvue 660 ballast
pytyhu5u.jpg

I plan on running 2-80w t5s off this ballast. I will probably run them for around 8 hours + 4-80w t5s for 6 hours.

Parts are piling up
azymy6az.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back