Need Advice - 200 gal. 48x33x30

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I have been given a 200 gal. starfire glass 3/4 in. glass aquarium, stand, top, wet dry filter and ancillary equipment. The challenge is it's up to me to pick it up and it's about a 3 hour drive away.

Hoping the experts here can answer a few questions.

1. Can I safely transport aquarium of this size in a F-150 pickup?
2. How do I pack and strap down the aquarium so it doesn't crack going down the highway and hitting the occasional bump in the road.
3. How many people do I need to bring to safely lift and load a tank of this size?
4. Should I just spend the money and hire professionals? Can anyone recommend company in the South Florida area that specializes in this type of work?

Any other tips and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Yes...Assuming the width between the wheel wells is more than 33"
2) I wouldn't worry about it cracking. Put a moving pad underneath and strap it down tight and it won't go anywhere
3) 4 guys would be preferred, possibly 3 if they're strong
4) A moving company would charge a lot of money, not worth it IMO

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Yes...Assuming the width between the wheel wells is more than 33"
2) I wouldn't worry about it cracking. Put a moving pad underneath and strap it down tight and it won't go anywhere
3) 4 guys would be preferred, possibly 3 if they're strong
4) A moving company would charge a lot of money, not worth it IMO

+1 on all of the above, may need 1 more truck for stand

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the quick replies... this is going to be a big step up from my 120 gal!

I'm also thinking about renting a u-haul as looking that the size of the stand, top plus aquarium I don't think I can move it in one trip with the pick up.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No it's a Ford, sell it if you can and get a Chevy... J/k you should be fine. :tongue: but like said above you'll probably need more than one truck if its more than just the tank.
2. I'd go to Home Depot or similar and get some 1" thick foam insulation sheet and put under it.
3. Get 4 guys lined up and some of the glass suction cups
4. Agree with above 100%

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No it's a Ford, sell it if you can and get a Chevy... J/k you should be fine. :tongue: but like said above you'll probably need more than one truck if its more than just the tank.
2. I'd go to Home Depot or similar and get some 1" thick foam insulation sheet and put under it.
3. Get 4 guys lined up and some of the glass suction cups
4. Agree with above 100%

+1 on the Chevy! Lol
U haul may be a good idea. I used 2 trucks when moving my 220. It prob would have been way easier

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I had my sister use her full size Ford Powerstroke for my 210g tank and stand and then my Toyota Tacoma with canopy was crammed full with the rest of the stuff but there was fish and coral too.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on a great opportunity! I definitely get some of the good / large glass suction cups. They'll make it sooo much easier to carry a tank that heavy.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the feedback, I'm heading to south florida this Sunday to pick up the tank and all the equipment. I'm really excited to join the big tank club and I'm sure I'll be back on here asking lots of questions and from the pics he sent me this should be a really awesome reef tank set up with all bells and wistles!

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I picked up that tank already. J/K, good luck with everything and beside to update with pictures!

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the move was a success and nothing was damaged and I was pretty nervous on I95 as there were a couple of constructions zones that were pretty bumpy. Now I've got to start figuring all this stuff out and I must say I have what appears to be some pretty high end equipment. This tank, he said, was a culmination of 25 years of being in the reef keeping hobby and he was walking away for good to pursue other interests.

Here's a short list and some pics
1. Reef controller system. Apparently the system is entirely automated with various probes and controllers to automate everything and report to a internet web site.... definitely going to be complicated!
2. 2 Iwaki pumps with a special valve to create wave circulation in the tank and a wave controller.
3. Glass Fuge with two reactors and a huge protein skimmer.
4. Canopy lights look like they are a combination LED and Power Compacts
5. RO/DI filters with 50 gallon make up tank and Kalk storage tank.
6. Chiller
7. UV sterilizer
8. Stand and tank appear to be custom made with numerous thru holes drilled for separate intake, out flows for the wave maker pump and circulation pump.
9. The mother load of salts, dosing stuff, tools etc.

I do realize how blessed I am in receiving this gift and it will be a honor to set up the system and hopefully the previous owner will visit one day to see her running again!

Right now my garage is piled high with this tank so hoping that this weekend I can start cleaning and going through all the parts and figure out how the heck I'm going to set this monster up in my house.... the wife is already freak'd out :angel:

photo013.jpg

photo005.jpg

photo015.jpg

photo002.jpg

photo008.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back