Kessil A360WE are Some Awesome LEDs

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a week ago I switched from 3 250W MH to 3 Kessil A360WE over my 72X18X28 mixed reef tank and I couldn't be happier. I was considering Radions or Hydra 52's mainly because I thought those were the only true options for a real reefer. I was completely wrong. One of the mean reasons I was so interested in those other lights was the ability to control all those channels and the freedom to configure the lights exactly how they needed to be. There was only one problem, I have no idea how to properly set all these channels for proper growth or color for corals. I know I would drive myself crazy trying to configure them.

I wasn't even considering Kessil until I read a few post on here. The price was obviously appealing, the mount was cool looking, and I had the option to control them with my Apex. Well I couldn't be any happier with my decision. In the reviews I read everyone mentions the shimmer from the lights and now I can say from experience that it is crazy nice. The shimmer is like nothing I've ever seen. It looks just like diving off a shallow reef. The control with the Apex is simple and very easy to get set the way you want. My corals have great polyp extension and look amazing. I'll report how they are doing in a few weeks.

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post some tomorrow, but I only have my phone camera so it won't do them justice. Here are a few coral shots:

IMG_2514.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg
IMG_2508.jpg

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you set yours at? I've got mine at 63% intensity and 55% color. Thinking of dropping the color back to 50% to see what difference it makes with the color of the corals.

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you set yours at? I've got mine at 63% intensity and 55% color. Thinking of dropping the color back to 50% to see what difference it makes with the color of the corals.

Mine are running 80% intensity and 50% color. Here is my Apex program:

Intensity Color​
Ramp Duration 240 240
Start 14 0
End 80 50
Ramp Duration 1 1
Start 80 50
End 80 50
Ramp Duration 180 180
Start 80 50
End 12 0

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 10:01 to 14:00 Then Clr_Sunrise
If Time 14:01 to 19:00 Then Clr_Daytime
If Time 19:01 to 22:00 Then Clr_Sunset

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 10:01 to 14:00 Then Int_Sunrise
If Time 14:01 to 19:00 Then Int_Daytime
If Time 19:01 to 22:00 Then Int_Sunset

Last edited:

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more! I just snagged a W, but need to add one probably two more WE. I have only played with mine so far, but the shimmer is fantastic.

Controlling with the apex, they are still daisy chained together?

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Kessil A360WE on my 29 gallon cube for a year now. I've found that my corals are growing very slowly. Of course I am very new to reefing. Started in January 2012. So I don't have much experience in coral growth. One major issue I've found with the Kessil is a single point of light source creating a lot of shadows. Branching SPS are very hard to keep. I currently have one and it has to be placed right in the center of the light to limit the amount of shadows. At the same time I love the shimmer and shadows of the fish. I've just ordered a Radion to see if I get different growth before I upgrade in about a year to a 150+ tank.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ you must have something wrong. I'm sps dominant and have excellent growth. I sure something else is wrong besides the lights.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more! I just snagged a W, but need to add one probably two more WE. I have only played with mine so far, but the shimmer is fantastic.

yep, daisy chain

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes my Kessils are daisy chained together

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Kessil A360WE on my 29 gallon cube for a year now. I've found that my corals are growing very slowly. Of course I am very new to reefing. Started in January 2012. So I don't have much experience in coral growth. One major issue I've found with the Kessil is a single point of light source creating a lot of shadows. Branching SPS are very hard to keep. I currently have one and it has to be placed right in the center of the light to limit the amount of shadows. At the same time I love the shimmer and shadows of the fish. I've just ordered a Radion to see if I get different growth before I upgrade in about a year to a 150+ tank.

I've only had my lights for a week so I can't really comment, but the reviews I've read say just the opposite. What are your lights set on?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Papa, looks like your lights are about a foot above the water. is that correct? mine are about 9 1/2" above.

OP
OP
PapaDragon

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Papa, looks like your lights are about a foot above the water. is that correct? mine are about 9 1/2" above.

Hi Jimbo! Yes they are about 12" above because I thought that is what the manual said, but here is what it actually says: "Hang the A360N / A360W 1 to 2 ft. above the object to be illuminated".

So I guess I can lower mine to reduce light spillage since my corals are like 6" below the water.

kevinf

lalalala
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is currently cycling.
Running BulkReefSupply's setting..
Ramps from 0-50intensity
0-90 color and back down

IMG_20140908_191347_zps136f13fa.jpg

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ you must have something wrong. I'm sps dominant and have excellent growth. I sure something else is wrong besides the lights.

what size tank and how many Kessils ?? can we have an FTS please

i love kessils but the shadowing is true. Sps that are exposed to light are wonderfully colored but the shadow is harsh on the underlighted areas. nothing to do with growth though.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1410555906492.jpg
72g bowfront. 2 Kessil A360W's. Everything grew under these lights from 1-4 inch frags.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back