LED bleaching SPS

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else had issue with the 28gal jbj nano led pros bleaching their sps? My polyps are all fine as well as my montis (though lighter in color than purchase) but my sticks and even birds nest have completly bleached to bright white. A few have even just straight up died. I can't figure out if it's too intense or perhaps not enough. I'd like to assume if it was lacking they would just brown out. Perhaps it's something in the spectrum itself. I will try and get some pics up tomorrow after lights come on and I scrape the glass. Until then here's a crappy phone pic from a few months ago Pre bleaching

I'd like to get some more coral in there but shortly after set up I lost my income.

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the LED could burn them
How is your nitrate, phosphate, Alk, Cal and Mag?

OceanRevive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the JBJ nano fixture. Is it dimmable?

LEDs are intense and can bleach corals. At 100% blue and 80% white for just 2 hours a day (plus sunrise and sunset) I started to bleach an sps that was 8-10" deep in my 180g tank.

OP
OP
Jason edwards

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know it is not unfortunately. I didn't acclimate them and lights on 10hrs so that may of been the cause.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dropping your whites to around 25% and then bring it up slowly like no more than 5% every week or so odds are you wont get up beyond 30-35% whites because leds are more highly focused. Also when you drop the whites watch corals when they start to color back up you can start bringing up white intensity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back