Orphek PR-25 LED Pendants over other pr 38, whats better

lpskeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K guys i have a 20w 20d 24t cube and as of right now have 2 par 38 from rapid led with 80 optics

i have mainly sps all are still on frag racks closer to the lights i was going to get 2 more of the same par 38 but with 60 degre optics or mabe even try some nanotuners par 38 with 40 degree optics

i saw the new Orphek PR-25 LED Pendants and thought they look cool and sound great but there are few info on them other than from orphek them self

i just wanted some advice about what to do next

i love the two par38 i have right now they have the 3rb 1b 2cw 1nw so it has good color on sps and spread on the tank. but not good par cause i have a 24 tall tank and would ove to keep sps where ever in the tank.

any one who has any orphek leds andd sps please chime in.

or any one with advice? i have alot of nice acro frags and want the best for them!

CoralIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the PR-25s over my tanks and am very happy with them, I had some others that I got off of RC from someone who is very popular and was NOT happy. The CREEs are just not my thing. They aren't the right look for what I like and then I found out that everyone is using 6500k white CREEs for the most part.....yuck.... I wouldn't put a 6500k CFL over my tank so why would I put a 6500k LED? 6500k is a fuge light. The PR-25 with the UV give a really nice coloration to everything and their white is 15,000k. I like them a lot. I am in the process of gathering stuff for a 120RR I am putting up next and ordered some of the new Orphek T5/slimlines the other day. They should be here by Monday!!!!! I am going to do an oak canopy so the low profile will be nice.

OP
OP
L

lpskeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have sps if so are you getting good growth and color?

would one of these be good over my tank or would i need more. tank is 20 wide 20l 24 h

but i have a center over flow that take up about 5inch by 6inch

would i get good par to the bottom

you have any pics of you tank thanks man

CoralIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have sps if so are you getting good growth and color?

would one of these be good over my tank or would i need more. tank is 20 wide 20l 24 h

but i have a center over flow that take up about 5inch by 6inch

would i get good par to the bottom

you have any pics of you tank thanks man

Yes, SPS...Green slimer, FFdigi, Oregon Torte, Sunset Monti, superman Monti.

You would need 2 IMHO.

PAR...hahhaa yeah. To say the least. I took them to a club meeting. I will find the write up in a minute and repost it for ya.

Current tank pic, not so much. I dropped my D40 and it's at the shop. Hopefully back this next week. Don't ask it's a very sore subject and I'm not out of the doghouse yet either....

Last edited:

CoralIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: PAR38's, 55 gallon tank.
Here are the notes from my clubs meeting in which we tested Power consumption and PAR.

We had all the fixture 29 inches off the bottom, 12 inches above the water line. The tank used was an 18 inch by
18 inch by 18 inch JBJ AIO.

Power consumption was figured at 10hrs per day, 30 days, @ 11 cents per killowatt/hr

The first set of LED's DIY I beleive: Blues WL: 300, bottom: 130. Blues and whites WL: 500, bottom:200. I was
super impressed by these the energy consumption was minimal and they gave good coverage throught the tank.

The next set of Aquatic Life- T5's werent working correctly the notes I have are WWhites only WL:200, bottom:100
we did not record the power consumption because one of the ballasts was failing to fire and it threw off the
measurement.

Tek Light elite, 5 blue plus, 2 aquablue specials and 1 fiji purple, cost $13.20 per month to run. 4 Blues WL:
245, bottom:115. All 8 bulbs WL: 550-570, bottom: 220.

Elos Mini LEDs WL: 175, bottom 45

175 wt MH 15 k bulb I have it at $5.78 per month to run but nothing else. I think this one failed to restart or
something.

250 watt DE Pheonix WL: 240-250, bottom: 93. Cost $8.31 per month

Orphek PAR 38 LED 6 white/6 blue WL: 300, bottom: 80-90, .63 cents a month to run

Orphek PAR 38 LED 6 blue, 4 white and 2 UV WL: 370, bottom: 87 .63 cents a month to run

both Orphek bulbs (this is how the owner uses them over his tank) WL:700 Bottom:170 $1.26 to run

Orphek ML7 Moonlight 4 blue, 3 UV WL 100, bottom 25 This bulb cost less that 6 cents to run at 10 hrs per day
which you wouldn't.....
These ran on a standard 110 light bulb socket. No ballast or anything external.

CoralIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the par on the bottom. Remember, I use two of the Orpheks so I am running 170 on the bottom. One of the Orpheks is the same PAR as a 250w MH.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back