How to rid green algae

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my water up in my new tank and the water is green and there's little green plants and stuff growing on the rock causing the water to become green. How do I get my water clear and clean.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you've got some real problems. So the tank is brand new? Can you tell us more about it. Where did you get the rock from? What have you done so far?

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is perfect. I used rodi water and got the Fiji premium live rock from Petco but they get t from a third party. The rock was out of water for 3 or 4 days because my rodi system was lost in shipment. Then I got everything running. Idk what's going on but the water is a tint of green but it is pretty clear. There seems to be some black stuff in the rock. It looks like some stuff is dying off on the rock idk. But the green water is annoying me. Maybe it's just part of the cycle? I have no lights on or anything

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black stuff on rock, if its live rock, would be die off. Algae will happen normally in new tanks. What ya need to post is the barage of water parameters.
Amm
Nitrites
Nitrates
Phosphates
Tell tail signs of a new tank and if there are any problems, it will show here.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is die off ok? I'm getting my test kits soon so I will know the parameters soon. My salinity is perfect as well.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't help die off. It'll help cycle your tank. You should get a test kit. So you track your nitrogen cycle.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm going to get one. I also have the microbe lift special blend bottle to help with the cycle. But I am getting a little more more to put in. Should I wait to get the rock before dosing the tank with that or can I start it now and just put the rock in when I get it ?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start anytime, but be aware that adding rock, especially live rock, might cause another ammonia spike.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly so why would I put the microbe lift in now ?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, look at it this way. Once you have a mature tank a large animal could die and there'd never be an ammonia spike. You've got weeks to wait for a good cycle anyway.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so just start this microbe lift now ? Maybe it will help the green water as well

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really familiar with microbe lift. Doesn't it just neutralize ammonia and nitrates. I'm not sure if it contains Nitrosomonas europaea, and Nitrospira bacteria does it? Not my cup of tea, I've always naturally cycled a tank.

OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It clears the water starts the cycle and it has good nutrients for the corals

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A miracle in a bottle? I'm thinking it's more a freshwater product, but maybe I'm mistaken. It does claim to have the bacteria mentioned in it. This what you're using?
Microbe Lift Nitrifying Bacteria - 16 oz

However you decide to cycle, I'd make sure that it can process food without an ammonia spike before I put live animals in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnyboy

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do u mean process food ? Btw I appreciate all this feedback man

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/bacterial-products/special-blend/
It sure claims to be a miracle product.

Simply because it's late and off the top of my head. Nitrogen cycle = a source of ammonia, ammonia levels rise and slowly populating nitrosomonas europaea bacteria oxidize the ammonia to nitrite. Nitrite levels rise and Nitrospira-like bacteria multiply and oxidize nitrites to nitrates. So you'll have high reading of ammonia go to zero then nitrites go to zero then you'll have high nitrates which you export with a suitable water change. Then when you feed the tank you check to make sure there is no ammonia produced and there is enough bacteria in there to process ammonia waste.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back