New to R2R

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I've never seen vinyl used before. It doesn't fall off easily like paper background right?
nope doesn't fall off at all. Just make sure when you are sticking it to the glass to smooth it out so that you don't have the bubbles everywhere. It can be tedious but comes out great

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for taking so long to answer. I have used this live sand on three different tanks and every time have had clams hatch. Once in awhile a dead clam shell will show up now, some of them up to three inches long. I've also used the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade sand. If I was going to start a new tank I would put in 3 inches of Seaflor sand and another 2 inches of live sand on top. Drs F&S is a great place to order it and get free shipping, too.

Marine Substrates: CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand at Foster & Smith Aquatics

Hey Mike,

I was reading your posts on the DSB vs SSB forum. Since you have so much experience and success with them could you answer a few questions for me? I will be utilizing a 5 to 6" DSB with the sand you advised. My LFS has both in stock at a competitive price :). What type of critters should I stock to help promote or maintain the DSB? I know you don't want to disturb the DSB so what shouldn't be added and what should? I also was told the entire DSB has to have light contact but what about the parts that the live rock cover? What type of flow is usually successful and do you think 2-MP10's will be sufficient in a 93 cube including the return? Thanks

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for taking so long to answer. I have used this live sand on three different tanks and every time have had clams hatch. Once in awhile a dead clam shell will show up now, some of them up to three inches long. I've also used the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade sand. If I was going to start a new tank I would put in 3 inches of Seaflor sand and another 2 inches of live sand on top. Drs F&S is a great place to order it and get free shipping, too.

Marine Substrates: CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand at Foster & Smith Aquatics

I'm not a fan of bacteria in a bottle, so can't answer that one. Your current rocks should do it. Remember to add fish slowly, a few weeks apart in order to let your bacteria reach the necessary levels.

Hey Mike,

I was reading some of your posts on the DSB forum. I had some questions if you don't mind answering...What type of critters aren't aloud in a dsb in your experience? Can gobies or jawfish disturb the bed? Also, what type of cleanup crew would benefit a dsb? Will the sand underneath the rock that doesn't get much light be alright or do I have to pay attention to how I aquascape the live rock to benefit the dsb? Most importantly, how much flow is needed for the dsb to thrive? As of right now, I am going to run 2 MP10Wes and a 950 return, is that sufficient enough? When doing wc never siphon up any of the dsb, not even the top layer right? It's my first time running a DSB and I'm excited but I want to install it properly with no mistakes. I've decided to go with some real nice dry rock at my LFS looks exactly like the dry rock on bulk reef supply. The rock I have now looks to be going down hill so I want to start fresh. Once the tank is cycled, how many fish/corals do you suggest adding on a basis? Thanks !

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike,

I was reading some of your posts on the DSB forum. I had some questions if you don't mind answering...What type of critters aren't aloud in a dsb in your experience? Can gobies or jawfish disturb the bed? Also, what type of cleanup crew would benefit a dsb? Will the sand underneath the rock that doesn't get much light be alright or do I have to pay attention to how I aquascape the live rock to benefit the dsb? Most importantly, how much flow is needed for the dsb to thrive? As of right now, I am going to run 2 MP10Wes and a 950 return, is that sufficient enough? When doing wc never siphon up any of the dsb, not even the top layer right? It's my first time running a DSB and I'm excited but I want to install it properly with no mistakes. I've decided to go with some real nice dry rock at my LFS looks exactly like the dry rock on bulk reef supply. The rock I have now looks to be going down hill so I want to start fresh. Once the tank is cycled, how many fish/corals do you suggest adding on a basis? Thanks !

Just noticed a couple questions turned into a brain ****, sorry about that lol.

Back