My 75 gal mixed reef

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, and thank you for checking out the thread. I have been in the fish hobby for about 10 years, with 5 of those being in saltwater. I am looking forward to all that I can learn from the experienced hobbyists here!

Right now I have a relatively new 75 gal mixed reef that I am going to be focusing on soft and zoa gardens, as well as a few anemones.

I had taken a break from the hobby for most of 2013, but I couldn't stay away long. I kept quite a bit of my equipment, so when I got a chance to get a Marineland 56 gal column tank and put it in my new nautical themed sunroom I took it! However.. it ended in disaster. The tank literally cracked from top back corner to front bottom corner on one of the sides and shot water all over my floor, down into the floor vent, etc. So, the next day I went out and bought a 75 gal RR tank and set it up as quickly as possible. At this point, I am probably going to have to redo the plumbing, I need to build a new canopy (with better plans and more time spent building it), and I need organize all the equipment and cords better. But enough of that.. Onto the equip, fish, and PICS! I will try and keep posting updates on the progress and additions. I will probably redo the plumbing and change the lighting as well. I am still looking for a 2nd Ecoxotic panorama 36 LED retro 2! Thanks for looking!

Lighting: 4 Ecoxotic Panorama Pros and a retrofit 2x T5HO in the canopy
Filtration: 35 gal sump (DIY) with SWC 160 skimmer, fuge, BRS GFO reactor, and mag 5 return
Fish: 2 oscellaris clowns, and 1 yellow tang.
Corals: mixed soft, zoas, and very few SPS and LPS
Inverts: rose bubble tip, purple tip condylactis

ResizedImage_1392255041206.jpg
ResizedImage_1392255033499.jpg
ResizedImage_1392254947489.jpg
ResizedImage_1392253733298.jpg
ResizedImage_1392255026217.jpg

OP
OP
luxauterna

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so apparently my phone photo quality is crap :/ sorry for the crappy photos

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! :)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice keep us posted with your progress.

OP
OP
luxauterna

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, and I definitely will. I was actually thinking about redoing the aquascape, but I am glad you said something. I am having trouble with finding places for my coral to not get blasted by the vortechs.

OP
OP
luxauterna

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pink tip sting or kill any of your corals how long have u had it in there

No, fortunately I have not had any problems with it. The tank is pretty light in corals, and that condy has a lot of room around it. That might change if it decides to move and purposely irritate me ( as they sometimes do ) but finger's crossed!

OP
OP
luxauterna

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after seeing Paul's idea with the bottle. I had to try it! I love that look of old junk covered in coralline, corals, etc. So I will be posting this project here!

Got the bottle
ResizedImage_1392841174552.jpg

Broke it... hammer time and glued some pieces back using goo glue
ResizedImage_1392874325418.jpg

Sanded it. Then mixed cement and put a thin layer over the whole bottle while putting some thicker layers in places and attaching some shells.
ResizedImage_1392874338898.jpg

I'll let it cure for 48 hours and then hopefully be able to put it in the display and watch the life attach! while also hoping that things don't die :)

OP
OP
luxauterna

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, I want to try the bottle thing too.

You should! it is very simple and Paul's thread on it is great. Be careful when you break it so you don't create too many small pieces or lose where the pieces go. That was my mistake. I didn't have as many big pieces as I wanted.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back