Upgrade to a 29

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of an upgrade on my 10 gallon to a 29. The tank is a standard Aqueon 29 30"Lx18"Hx12"W. My goal is to make it a mixed reef. I love my 10 but I think it's time to go a little bigger, after all frag swap season is coming and I'm going to need the room:xd:.

Most of the equipment from my 10 will be going on the 29 with a few upgrades as well.

As of right now the List is:
24" t5 with 2 ati coral plus, 1 blue plus, and 1 true actinic.
I am going to add a couple of 24" stunner strips to the fixture to add some pop and shimmer.
100 watt Aqueon heater
1 Hydor-Korallia 240
An Odysea Pro pack 250 hob skimmer/refugium It's basically a CPR backpack clone with a with a fuge. With cheato and an 18 watt 6500k led light.
I may eventually add a reefkeeper lite to it but for right now I want to keep it simple.

I have about 25 lbs of dry rock in the tank with a very shallow sand bed. (I found an old bag of southdown play sand that had just enough to give me about an inch of sand.)Anybody remember Southdown?
The rest of the rock will be coming from the 10 which has around 10lbs in the display and another 3 or 4 lbs in the fuge.

As for stocking I want a couple of Pajama cardinals, a couple clowns and maybe a pygmy wrasse to go with my tailspot blennie and peppermint shrimp.

I'm hoping that I will make the move around the end of October or the first week in November. I filled the tank up yesterday and got some shrimp in there waiting for the cycle to start.

Here it is without water.
FTS 29gallon10-5-14.jpg

29 aquascape right side.jpg

aquascape left side 29 .jpg

29 from right.jpg

Attachments

• 10 & 29 fts.jpg
    10 & 29 fts.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 268

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, really like the aquascape. is the 240 enough for your tank? Im trying to decide between the 240 and 425.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. We have a 29g too with 30" dual lamp T5 HO, curious on what kind of stunner LED's are you adding? I want to add some LPS- Euphyllia. Had 425 & 240 Koralia's but wanted some controllable flow so I went with 1 JebaoWP10 and I like it.

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I think I will opt for the higher unit. Post more pics when you have it set up!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. We have a 29g too with 30" dual lamp T5 HO, curious on what kind of stunner LED's are you adding? I want to add some LPS- Euphyllia. Had 425 & 240 Koralia's but wanted some controllable flow so I went with 1 JebaoWP10 and I like it.
I'm thinking the ecoxotic Strips not sure what color yet maybe like a 12k/Royal blue and a 445nm actinic, but I'm looking for something that will penetrate to the bottom

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my wp 10 today should be here next week. Then I'm thinking I will start the move.
Got the tank filled and the salt mixed. Took almost 3 days for the sand storm to subside. Probably didnt help that the only pump I had to put in the tank to get some flow is a 700gph pump off my old skimmer.

Here it is finally cleared up
29 filled and clear.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! :)

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rock work. I always like the start up phase. So many possibilities!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I love this part too. Just a little bit apprehensive about the move, but I'm committed at this point.
Both of the rock structures will be a bit different after the move and I figure out where to place the rock that have corals already attached.

One of the things I'm working on in the meantime is an ATO system that won't be bothered by the wp 10s wave function. Not exactly sure how it's gonna work but we shall see.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I love this part too. Just a little bit apprehensive about the move, but I'm committed at this point.
Both of the rock structures will be a bit different after the move and I figure out where to place the rock that have corals already attached.

One of the things I'm working on in the meantime is an ATO system that won't be bothered by the wp 10s wave function. Not exactly sure how it's gonna work but we shall see.
I have a pair of wp 25 and use a tunze ato. It has run flawlessly for near 2 years now. Germans know how to make it!

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my wp 10 today and played with it a little bit.
This is why I'm wondering how I'm going to get an auto top off to work in the display because the wave running across the tank has at least 1-1/2" difference between the crest and the valley. I'm assuming that a running wave of that size would not make most float switches or sensors very happy.
[video=youtube;-PBEO5kErRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PBEO5kErRo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good news and bad news. I made the switch today from my 10 to the 29. So far everything is looking fairly happy.
(as happy as corals can be moving from one tank to another)
Bad news is during the move my 96 watt t5 quad fixture got about 1/2 gallon of water spilled on it and fried:scared:.
Good news on that front is that I have an old 4x18 watt t5 fixture that i can use till my new lights get here next week.

The whole thing took about 2 hours and I'm liking the look of the tank. I need to go get some more super glue and finish gluing down some of the coral.

29 first day with coral.jpg

first day with corals 2.jpg

I am really liking the added real estate on the sand bed.

Also I had an old overflow that I was able to use part of to make a surface skimmer for the pump that feeds the skimmer/fuge which hides the pump nicely and does a decent job of of pulling stuff from the top of the water.

surface skimmer for fuge and sump.jpg

pump in overflow.jpg

Except for the fiasco with the lights it went rather smoothly. Now I just need to decide on the new lights.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clever with implementing the overflow to hide the pump to make a surface skimmer for skimmer/fuge! Wow, with more tank, just think of the possibilities?????

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back