Jent's 66gal cubish

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting to start this thread for a while. I know a lot of the beginning steps to setting up a tank can be pretty boring to watch. I have some free time today and thought I would get through some of the setup on my new build....hang with me a bit as I give you a little history about me, and what thoughts guided this build.

First about me. I have been in the hobby for a LONG time (over 15 years). I progressed from a 30gal -> 46gal bow front -> 120gal -> 180gal. During each move I had a different level of income, different lighting, and learned a lot about what I do and do not want from an aquarium.

I ended up having to sell the 180gal due to finances about 2 years ago, and have been out of the hobby since then. I have always missed it greatly, and the fact that I sold EVERYTHING made it very hard to start back up. Over the last 6+ months I have been slowly buying things and getting set back up.

A few key concepts I have learned from my past experience is that:

* Do it right the first time, it can be hard to fix things later

* Lighting is expensive!

* Controllers are amazing, and can save your butt (learned that one the hard way)

* Front to back space in the aquarium allows for the most interesting aquascapes

Thinking about "lighting is expensive" and my desire to create interesting aquascapes, I reflected about my past tanks. I realized that my 120gal was my favorite tank to date. 2 feet wide provided a lot of space for interesting rock work, and it was not nearly as expensive as my old 180gal was.

I decided I wanted something that was as wide as possible, but was sized so that I could light it with less than 200 LED watts, while still keeping heavy light SPS, clams, etc.

As I started looking at aquariums, I decided I also wanted at least 18in of height on the tank, I was not confident I could make a shallow aquarium work well. With those constraints (and with the additional financial constraint) I arrived at two primary possibilities. SC Aquariums 66gal (which measures 32in x 24in x 20in). And Marineland's 93gal 30in x 30in x 24in. The Marineland was very tempting with the 30in width, but ultimately I was not confident I could light it like I wanted (and the 24in depth only would further work against that). If the Marineland came with a taller stand, and was only 20in tall, I probably would have gone that direction.

I researched SCA's tank's throughly before purchase. I knew the bulkheads would be metric, and I knew I would have to expand the smaller one to fit the 3/4in bulkhead I wanted. I also knew the stand was cheap MDF, and of low quality, yet this was the only thing I was disappointed in just how low quality the stand was. In retrospect I kind of wish I had made my own stand (but I have a history of being terrible with wood working).

The stand came with no instructions, and I took photos of it step by step in case others need help (which I wont post here unless requested). Though even without the instructions I was able to think about things long enough and figure out the best way to install it.

Before I got to that, I decided I wanted to do what I could to protect the fragile MDF for the long run. The first step was painting the exposed edges with 4 coats of a thick enamel paint.

(sorry for the initial photos being low quality from my phone...future photos will be from my Canon 50D).

This took the exposed MDF edges from looking like this:

IMG_20150209_172506_543.jpg

To this:

IMG_20150211_113806_968.jpg

I then assembled the stand (which I will avoid the step by step photos). Once assembled I reinforced with a few extra brackets, just to be 100% sure it's stable. I then got some sealant and sealed all the cracks/corners. In this photo you can see it's white, but once it dried it became clear.

IMG_20150214_165450_899.jpg

I don't have good photos of it, but I then sprayed the entire inside of the stand with Rustoleums "Never Wet". Which is a hydrophobic paint. In retrospect I am not sure how much this will or will not help. In a few spots it already appears to be rubbing off.

I wanted the sump to be in a white area, so that detritus and other junk in it can be easily seen. I was not confident in painting the glossy coating of the stand, so instead of using their black foam to put the sump on, I instead cut some of the thin foam pieces they packed the stand with to make a background and base. So far I am happy with this. I then installed a small ikea light to the top of the stand to help light the inside of the stand/sump area.

IMG_20150216_191640_198.jpg

Right now the tank has finished it's leak test, filled and running with fresh RO. Later today I will post photos of the plumbing.

As a teaser for what to expect with this build:

* This will be my first bare bottom aquarium. I have a sheet of black HDPE that will arrive on Monday. I have already cured the rock in another aquarium (which will become my QT tank after most the rock is moved into the new tank), and even have some corals in with the rock at this point.

Major equipment which you can not see yet, but will be shown later:
* The lighting will be provided by a 160 watt LED maxspect razor

* The controller will be a neptune apex, which will control everything, including the stand light (turned on when the door opens), the ATO, return pump, skimmer, internal circulation pumps, heater, and more (I want to have this pretty automated)

* There will be two reactors, one for GAC and one for GFO, both feed off a manifold from the return pump.

Stay tuned for more photos later today!

IMG_20150214_165450_899.jpg

IMG_20150209_172506_543.jpg

IMG_20150211_113806_968.jpg

IMG_20150216_191640_198.jpg

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here are some more photos which show the tank with water in it, and to demonstrate the plumbing. (better photos this time, I will try to avoid subjecting you to my phone camera again)

Here is the tank on the stand with water in it. As you can see I went with the "herbie" design, so you can see the black PVC going over the back edge for the return water.

IMG_8178.jpg

Here you can get a better view of the tubing going over the edge. I reduced the 3/4in pipe to 1/2 so that I could use the existing holes for the return tubes.

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

Inside the stand the plumbing is a bit more interesting. It's hard to tell from this photo but I actually removed the two baffles that came stock with the sump. Instead I re-siliconed the large baffle to the bottom of the tank. This will be the fuge area, and this change allows me to have more water volume. The return pump is then in the center section. The return pump also feeds the manifold on the right side. The three gate valves will supply the GFO and GAC reactor. The third valve as you can see feeds into the fuge area. This was by design because I wanted to precisely control how much flow is going into the fuge (another reason the return pump is in the middle.

It turns out the stock pump I got is smaller than advertised (probably because most people complained the old pump pushed too much water through the durso system). So I have ordered a jaebo DCT-6000. I know I have read terrible reviews on the older version of this pump, so I don't have high expectations. But the price is right, and I figure I can have the existing pump as a backup (it works, just not as much as I want).

IMG_8182.jpg

You can see in the next photo how I have removed all the stock filter medium. The only stock filter medium I am using is the thick blue pads, which I put inbetween the baffles close to the drain pipes to help encourage the water flow to go towards the skimmer.

I then added a vertex 4in filter sock holder, which the main siphon is draining into. The emergency drain just goes into this area...when water is flowing through it, it's very loud (which I wanted, so it is obvious there is a problem).

IMG_8183.jpg

That's where I am at now. I hope to put salt in on Friday or this weekend. I also will be moving my apex from my QT tank to the main system at the same time. Put some of the crappy pieces of rock into the fuge. At that point I will be in a holding pattern until the HDPE arrives on Monday. After which point I will be excited to cut it, and start putting some rock in the main display!

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks everyone for looking at these early stages!

IMG_8178.jpg

IMG_8182.jpg

IMG_8183.jpg

IMG_8184.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving this tank! Please keep us updated with your progress! :)

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the interest SeahorseKeeper!

It's been a week and a half since my initial post, but I have been busy!

I decided I am not happy with the "NeverWet". It does not work very well, makes everything look messy, and just was not worth the money or effort. I ended up removing most of it from the roof of the stand. I was nervous about how it falling in the water might effect the chemistry (seemed most likely to cause hair algae than anything, but why risk it?).

So I pulled out the sump and everything inside the stand and instead lined it with 3.7 mill painters plastic. This was the right decision! It looks better (if you can imagine that), and is offering MUCH more protection from the water.

Here is what the stand looks like now:

IMG_8207.jpg

Other things you may have (or not) noticed that have changed....I got both the reactors mounted now, GFO on the left, and GAC on the right. Both drain into the fuge area on the right which is filled with live rock. I am undecided if I want to light the fuge or not...I am not planning to use it for nutrient export, just a safe heaven for the bottom of the food chain (copepods, etc).

I also have ditched the stock return pump that came with the SCA setup. It was WAY too loud, and was not offering enough flow to supply my manifold in addition to return (and I wanted to use just one pump). I went with the Jebao DCT-6000...Not really a fan of Jebao, but it was the only DC pump I could find that would fit the dimensions of my return area (and also fit my budget). I did not want an external pump right now due to how I have done the plumbing.

Unfortunately I had to order check valves for the loc line return lines. I don't need to prevent back flow, but I do need to slow it down due to the current setup pulling air into the pump and making it loose it's prime. I don't see a good way to position the pump so that it wont loose it's prime right now, and the idea is if the flow is slower it wont pull the air bubbles under the water. Those will be here later this week!

The other changes to the equipment which can't be easily seen is more of the wiring for the apex. I got the most important switches wired up, including:

* two switches on the stand doors, so that when the door is opened, the stand light turns on

* Sump low float switch for ato

* Sump high float switch for ATO and Skimmer

I have also got my jebao RW-8's moved from my QT tank into the main display. I also moved my minimal frags out of the QT tank to the main display now as well. Right now it looks like this:

IMG_8200.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

I am undecided on the rockscape right now. I would love comments! It does not show easily in the photos due to the black background, but you can see none of the rock is leaning against the back glass (making it easy for fish to swim behind it, me to clean it, as well as flow). I picked strange shaped rocks on purpose to provide some unique look to the tank. With that said, I found they are hard to aquascape! Please provide comments on what you think of the rockscape, both positive or negative (even if your not sure how I should improve it), I want to hear all the opinions out there!

Let me know what you think, provide comments, questions, or suggestions to anything I have presented! Thanks for looking!

IMG_8200.jpg

IMG_8202.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

IMG_8207.jpg

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are moving smoothly. No new photos, but a small textual update.

I got a skunk cleaner shimp and put him in the display tank. He has been doing great, eating well, and very active. I was originally planning to get a couple pepermint shimp as well, but after liking the cleaner shimp so much I am going to skip those and just get a second cleaner shrimp instead.

I recently moved my firefish, yellow clown goby, and neon blue goby out of QT and into the main display. I had originally planned to have them in QT longer, but the QT tank was stressing out the firefish badly for some reason. There were small amounts of ammonia, but I think he was more concerned about the lack of rockwork in the QT tank (PRV hiding places were not doing it for him).

I ultimately made the hard decision to move them before their 6 weeks was up. I figured it made more sense to do that since I had no fish in the main DT, and since the firefish was not eating well.

Since moving them, the firefish IMMEDAITELY changed. He is out and about, and looking much better! He is also eating perfectly after just the first day being in the DT. Everyone is looking good and no signs of illness.

The QT tank is still up and running, I am working on trying to get a pair of ORA extreme misbar clownfish. The LFS said he would order me some soon, and I can't wait. Till then I will just phantom feed the QT tank to keep the bacteria thriving till I can add them.

On Tuesday I will get my cleanup crew order. I was originally going to skip hermits but ultimately decided to get 24 blue leg hermits. Otherwise I will have a mixture of snails and a seperent star. I likely will take some more photos next weekend.

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically run it on setting 8 out of 10. Keep in mind I am also providing flow to my two reactors and my fuge with it though. I think if I was running it without the manifold I likely would be running it on something closer to half power.

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay on new photos...I have added stuff a bit faster than I originally planned. Water tests have been great! I obviously am also not new to the hobby, so I decided to go bold and get quite a bit more things.

As you can tell in the photos I have gotten a few more coral frags (I now have all the frags that I _wanted_). One of them was a "rescue" from the LFS. It's an acro that was stung VERY badly from another coral. I am trying to save it, but unsure if I will be able to or not. The biggest issue is algae growing on the dead part of the skeleton, I worry that it could make it hard for the living tissue to grow over the dead area. I figured I would try, and if it is continuing to do bad I will go ahead and cut it down to almost nothing (cut away all the stung/dead area). If anyone has any advice in recovering a coral like this let me know.

Last weekend I also added more of a cleanup crew. A serpent star, a few more snails, and some blue leg hermits (though I wish I had skipped the hermits since they just get blown around due to the very high flow in the tank).

I also got all the fish I really wanted for this tank now. As mentioned earlier I have a firefish, yellow clown goby, and ORA blue neon goby. This weekend I got two ORA extreme misbar clowns. I was planning to QT them but I also got a second skunk cleaner shrimp from the same system. I did not feel like I could QT the skunk cleaner shrimp, and since I was adding it from the same system, I decided to go ahead and put the clowns in the main display too. We will know in 6 weeks if that was an okay decision or not. Till then I am keeping the QT system up and running in case I need to remove fish for treatment. I am a bit nervous about it...but I just did not think it made sense to QT the fish when a shrimp from the same system was also being added.

I also have a lot of green algae growing. It's not hair algae, if anything it's more like coraline algae. Hard, and close to the rocks...hard to remove, snail's don't seem to even be eating it. Not sure what (if anything) I should do about it. Phosphates are at .04ppm, and nitrates are at 2ppm. Right now I am not considering it a nuisance, just watching it closely.

So a livestock summary is:
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1 Blue neon goby
1 Firefish
2 Extreme misbar clowns

2 Cleaner shrimp
1 Serpent star
A variety of snails

1 Hammer coral
1 Acan
3 Acro's
1 Millipora
1 Superman monti
7 varieties of zoa's

Now to let everything grown in!

Here is a couple updated photos:

IMG_8210.jpg

IMG_8211.jpg

Give me your opinions, good and bad! I had not planned to add things so fast, but it's been so easy to find all the things I have wanted! So far things seem to be doing great and water params are spot on (I measure them twice a week right now).

hutch2828

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I've been looking at these tanks and it's great to see someone work around the downsides of the stock setup. Thanks for documenting everything so well and keep up the good work!

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress is still happening, there has been good and bad....

First the bad:

The yellow clown goby had to be removed. He was going crazy at eating the polyps off my SPS. I put him in the QT tank for about 6 weeks while I was setting up a mangrove aquarium in the kitchen. Sadly once he went into the kitchen aquarium (which he was the only fish), then promptly went carpet surfing. I had planned to add him back to the main display once the SPS colonies were big enough (thinking he was just being a bit hard on the small frags), but oh well.

The firefish also jumped through the small slit in the net I keep over the top of the tank. I now have a new one (I think he adds a lot to the tank).

I have been struggling with a semi-macro algae. It seems like a macro algae, but stays short in most cases (once it gets big enough it gets torn and finds a new place in the tank). Phosphates have been < 0.04. It is VERY hard to remove off the rocks, and has started to starve out some of my corals. I added a small kole tang, hoping he might help with this, but time will tell...I am not sure he is into this type of algae.

I have been struggling with acro's. They stay alive for a few weeks, then go downhill fast. My only guess is I have been struggling to keep my alk up in > 7.5. Otherwise my params have been spot on and stable.

I had an outbreak of nudibranches that resulted in loosing a couple of my zoa colonies.

The good:

Besides acros, and the couple of zoa colonies I lost, corals have been doing great. My acan has been growing like crazy (just added two more colonies), lots of my zoa colonies are getting bigger.

Fish health has in general been good, my clowns have started to have an obvious sex.

In general things are just getting more mature and stable, which is always good.

I will try to take some new photos soonish. Honestly I have been a bit embarrassed to show off the tank with all this green algae.

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been continuing to progress. Tank has not quite been running a year yet, and have had lots of success, and some continual issues.

I have still struggled to keep acro's. They all seem to die very very slowly. I currently have a bali slimer and another unknown acro that have been hanging on, but still slowly regressing. All other corals have been flourishing. I still have kept the diversity somewhat low, focusing on acros, zoas, acans, and my one hammer.

Fish wise things have been great, I would like to add some more small fish, but struggle with what to add. I did add a yellow neon goby, which appears to have paired up with the blue neon goby.

I added a RBTA, and it has split, but the clowns don't seem to have any interest in it. I have also added a maxima clam which ended up securing itself to the HDPE bare bottom.

I have been struggling intensely with macro algae. I remove lots of manually at a weekly pace right now. Which brings me to the interesting part of this post.

I have been regularly testing my water of course. My phosphates are usually at .04ppm, and sometimes as low as .03ppm (tested with hanna). They are not too bad, and this is probably at least in part due to dosing probidum (carbon source). My nitrates on the other hand have been undetectable. I even got the red sea pro nitrate test kit which goes down to 0.25ppm and it still does not detect nitrates.

Part of this may be due to my skimmer, which is a vertex omega 130. This skimmer kicked so much butt when I first got it, but it has not all but stopped working. I suspect this is in part from my water ending up so clean at one point.

I am going to send a water sample into aqua medic to verify my test kits are in ranges that are at least somewhat close to what they should be. But right after sending in my sample I am going to make a few changes in hopes to possibly help my algae, but most importantly help my struggles with acros!

I am going to increase my feeding. Right now I only feed every 2 days, but when I do feed, I feed heavily, including corals. I probably am going to increase this frequency.

I am also going to start dosing red sea energy again. I did not see any issues when I did it before, but not really any benefits either. However I was dosing a bit on the light side previously. I am going to dose more frequently.

The final bit is I am going to continue to test nitrates aggressively and try to be close to 1ppm. I am going to dose sodium nitrate to maintain this if necessary. Hopefully this will keep my nitrates in better ratios to my phosphates.

I may end up turning off my GFO if it works out. And if nitrates and phosphates end up going up from the increased feeding, I am going to change my carbon dosing to something I can do more aggressively.

The only other change I have made to try and improve my success with acro's is change my lighting. I added on a Kessil 160we. I have it towards the front of the tank in the center and angled. This helps fill tons of shadows, hopefully helping the undersides of the acro's that always seem to die first.

Anyways, this is what the tank is looking like these days. Sorry for the long post, but if you ended up reading to this point, let me know if you have any ideas or comments! Always love sug

IMG_8256-resize.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep it up!

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a minor update. Going to keep updating as I do nitrate dosing some, in case others see things I am not, or in case others can learn from my experience.

I have been dosing 2ppm worth of nitrate daily now for about a week. I have also increased my feeding, as well as increased amino acids. Part of that has been increasing my phyto from swarm feeding once a month, to 200ml every day.

As of today nitrate is still undetectable in the aquarium (using red sea pro that goes down to .25ppm). Phosphates have been dropping already though! They were never that high (peek ever was .05ppm read from hanna). As of today they are .01ppm, which is obviously a lot lower than I expected.

I know algae growth has gone up, at least for my cheato. The tank algae so far has remained rather consistent. I suspect this is primarily what has been consuming both the nitrate and phosphate, rather than bacterial uses.

So today I am thinking about how I want to adjust. I don't think I want to increase my nitrate dosing even though it is still not detectable, because I am worried about increasing algae growth, and further reducing my phosphates.

I am thinking I will increase my phyto dosing to 500ml daily for the next week, and after that work on just producing more concentrated solutions (going to start using the fridge to get it to settle and thus become denser). Phyto seems like it could be a good way to get phosphates while still feeding things like my clam and corals.

I am considering if I should change my carbon dosing. Right now I am just using Prodibio Bioptim, which is dosed every two weeks. The question is, even though my nutrients are low, maybe dosing carbon might out compete some of the algae. Thoughts?

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would conclude this thread with a final update. I am sorry to say that last Saturday a constant and steady drip was discovered from the bottom of one of the seams. I heavily regret that I did not take a final photo before I took everything out. I went into panic mode and quickly got everything out of the tank and into a 40gal frag tank I had running. Things are sadly pretty cramped in there till I can get a new tank setup.

A lot of the algae problems I had before were a thing of the past. I also was starting to get excellent SPS growth. I really wish I could have captured that before I tore it all down.

SCA was unfortunately unwilling to warranty the tank since I was 1 year beyond their short warranty period. So I am currently in the process of trying to get a Planet Aquariums tank and stand ordered instead. This is sadly going to be a very large and unexpected expense, but I am saddest about the impacts to my coral and fish from this all.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would conclude this thread with a final update. I am sorry to say that last Saturday a constant and steady drip was discovered from the bottom of one of the seams. I heavily regret that I did not take a final photo before I took everything out. I went into panic mode and quickly got everything out of the tank and into a 40gal frag tank I had running. Things are sadly pretty cramped in there till I can get a new tank setup.

A lot of the algae problems I had before were a thing of the past. I also was starting to get excellent SPS growth. I really wish I could have captured that before I tore it all down.

SCA was unfortunately unwilling to warranty the tank since I was 1 year beyond their short warranty period. So I am currently in the process of trying to get a Planet Aquariums tank and stand ordered instead. This is sadly going to be a very large and unexpected expense, but I am saddest about the impacts to my coral and fish from this all.
So sorry to hear that ;Wideyed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back