New life for Coralife Biocube 14

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coworker gave me a Biocube 14 he didn't feel he would use anymore. He had modded it with DIY LED's. There is a hole in the canopy where he had a HOB skimmer. The pump no longer worked. The second chamber was empty.
I purchased an Aqueon Quietflow 600, a new water deflector for the return, an inTank media basket with filter floss, Purigen, and a carbon media bag. I also bought an Eheim Jager heater (which I ruined i think by placing horizontally in a tub of saltwater I had my new rock in for a few days) and replaced with an Aqueon. A digital thermometer, a light timer.
Today I set up the tank with a couple inches of Fiji Pink Arag-alive sand, about 14 lbs of live rock, and WATER (saltwater, of course)!
I put the heater in the first chamber, the media basket with only the filter floss in the second compartment, and the pump, of course, in the last compartment. Put on the new water deflector. I will probably add a Jebao WP-10 to increase flow.
uploadfromtaptalk1426043887400.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1426043921125.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1426043958428.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1426043988980.jpg

OP
OP
Texas Reefer

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plans:
Once I start to see some algae growth I will add a cleanup crew: a small starfish, a handful of hermits and a couple snails. Maybe a conch. Once the cycle is complete I will add my Flame Angel. I know everyone will say the tank is not big enough, but he cannot stay in my Reef tank. Currently he is in the sump of my 90g reef because he chases my firefish and nips my acans and chalices. I'll add the Purigen and Carbon bag to the media basket and decide on a skimmer. I'm currently considering the Biocube skimmer. Then I would like to add a goby/pistol shrimp pair. One of these:
uploadfromtaptalk1426044738820.jpg

OP
OP
Texas Reefer

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My questions are:
Is the Biocube skimmer with wood stone adequate?
Should I put a frozen shrimp in the tank to help the cycle, or will the Arag-alive sand and live rock be sufficient?
At some point Im thinking I would like to add an anemone and a clownfish. Too much bioload?
What corals can I put with the flame angel? Obviously no chalices or acans. I'd like mushrooms and leathers, zoas... What about lps like torches and frogspawn?

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think the clown anemone pair. Or. Pistol and Randalls goby pair are both good. Options, maybe try and trade the flame for. One of. Those two things.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio cube skimmers ime are a waste. Cup. Isn't big enough to. Get any real. Skimmate and the Airstone needs replaced. Often to. Create really fine bubbles!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one so I'm going to check it out. Even if it helps with aeration I'll be happy.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back