My 75 Gallon SPS dominated Peninsula setup

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have avoided starting a tank thread here because I know I have nothing compared to most of the tanks featured here. When I met the Rev and his Lady at MACNA they said I should, so here goes.

I put a majority of this system together by DIY, senond-hand and other people's throw aways. I will start with a quick overview of the hardware. I hope this isn't too boring, but here goes.

It is a 75G ADA, end drilled with a DIY overflow wall and a modified Herbie overflow. The stand holds a 10G ADA with homemade perforated wall and double drilled for overflow to the sump. The 10G is a dedicated fuge, up on a little stand. Lighted with a CF Floodlight and cooled with a cheap clamp-on fan. The fuge spills into a Rubbermaid sump holding an Ebo-Jager 250W heater and a Reef-Octopus 110NW skimmer. The overflow goes through a common pipe with a valved branch to the fuge and the rest to the fuge. Return duties are taken care of by a BlueLine 1100 GPH pump.

In the tank I have a Koralia 4 and a Koralia Evolution 1050. I will eventually replace the K4 with another Evo1050. I have two old Hagen powerheads working against the Evo on a wavemaker. Lighting is two MH's, one 250W Phoenix bulb and the other a 150W Phoenix. They are supplemented with a pair of Geisemann Actinic + T5HO's in "the good reflectors".

The hood and stand are completely enclosed and I don't have a chiller so I had to get creative. I ducted a top mounted fan down to the waterlevel and it comes in opposite to the return flow. I added a little squirrel cage fan exhausting from the hood. This gives me right about 3 1/2 gallons a day of evaporation, leading to just over 36000 BTU of cooling. Topoff is maintained by my DIY relay operated ATO kicking an Aqualifter. All the ballasts and lighting timers are on the roof for heat exclusion.

Pictures will start in the next post.

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main view of the tank.
IMG_3298.jpg

Now I will do a "walkaround" of the tank itself
IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

And a few corals
IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3568.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

That's a few of them. I would guess I'm well over 80 varieties of corals in there right now...Lots of the frags laying everywhere need to go, and some nice pieces to grow out, but that's a quick overview.

Enjoy,
Mitch

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks very healthy Mitch! Thanks for sharing....

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have to hold myself back...I take MILLIONS of tank pictures....I got a camera Christmas before last and it's going on 3600 exposures!!!

Gotta show off one more!!!!
IMG_3433.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Mitch! I have a 75g peninsula too and I really love it set up as a peninsula. I had it set up 2 other times just along the wall and didn't like it much then.

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't get enough of bad butt Blastos. There are so many cool ones that I could just about do a species tank just for them if I had the cash! Among my favorites for sure.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks better than mine.....;)
i think your tank is perfect man it's nice and open and doesn't have the fruit stand look of 80 percent of the tanks around.... great job....

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks good! I love blastos too! But I only have one solid red colony and I gave those to my dad. :(

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot everybody. I guess I'm my own worst critic. I see all the ultra-exotic corals everybody seems to grow here on R2R and I just don't feel worthy. I have to keep my reef on an extremely tight (spelled nonexistant) budget and grow things out to trade. By a series of trades, scraping my pennies together and gifts from really generous people I have put together the best I can.

Speaking of really great people, I received a couple of really sweet frags from an extremely "Stand-Up Guy" today....pics to follow (as soon as they open!!!!)

OP
OP
MitchReef

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored in a MAJOR WAY earlier today...Two new Z's n P's frags...They have just been in my tank for like 15 minutes now, so we cannot expect much, but here are a couple of teaser pictures....
Right after it went in:
IMG_3575.jpg

After a mere 3 minutes:
IMG_3577.jpg

And finally, after just 16 minutes:
IMG_3579.jpg

That's right, a Genuine Mindblowing Paly!!!! Who Dah! named it, he got it from WWC, they got it from the guy I got it from! How's that for lineage!!!
Number two is still being shy, but I will put up a teaser picture of it too:
IMG_3580.jpg

Stay tuned for more..I will pop up a pic when they start opening!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back