ToW 8-18-2014 Topic of the week- You better frag yourself, before you wreck yourself!

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who doesn't love starting off a Monday with a terrible Ice Cube/Reef club crossover thread title? The guy that dropped the ball on the topic of the week, that's who!

Easy, but interesting question for you MTRC'ers this week: If money was no object, would you prefer growing out corals from tiny frags or buying full grown mature colonies? Instant gratification vs cultivating something over time?

Btw, if you have any ideas for a topic of the week, shoot me a message!

fragpack.jpg

colony.jpg

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is more satisfaction from getting a small frag and seeing it grow into a colony...... But I have purchased a few mini colonies myself, but they never seem to do as good as the small frags that grow into colonies.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aree with the beard. there is just something about a frag growing into a colony only to be able to be fragged again for ROI. Nothing better...

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer buying frags. Easier to place in the reef and the satisfaction that comes with watching them thrive and grow (slowly for me) is the greatest joy I take from keeping a reef. Also when you buy a colony any growth you get will be somewhat different than what was started before due to different husbandry techniques and such.

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing from frags not simply for the satisfaction of watching them develop but because you will end up with a more natural result that fits the location and conditions it is growing in, and the structure will interact better with the corals surrounding it especially if you are growing a "thicket" type of aquascape.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Czech yourself!

Umm, smaller the better for this guy. The frags tend to be on the cheaper side and as stated above they are much easier to mount in the tank. Plus the ROI and personal satisfaction are higher if the frag takes off and grows into a colony a nice colony.

I was personally able to frag my first acro ever. It started off as a small piece a little over a year ago and is now a colony the size of a softball. I'm pretty happy to say that I was able to grow a nice acro frag into a colony. Now it's starting to pay for itself!

Back