Cold weather + RODI = ugh

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys dealing with the cold weather and your RODI units? I'm running lower than what I like on my RODI storage right now. I have the BRS 75GPD unit and it just can't make water fast enough. I've been thinking about a booster pump or ever trying to figure out how to warm the water before it goes into the RODI.

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify,

A booster pump will increase your water production, if your water pressure is at 40-50 psi... and you boost it up to 60-80 psi, you will notice an increase in your water production rates. However, if you already have good pressure, 60-80 psi, you may find what you really want is the piggyback membrane add-on kit.

coralreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the wastewater outlet on your membrane chamber (where the flush valve is if you have one) you have a capillary tube that restricts waterflow. For cold water you should replace the capillary tube with an even smaller one. Think of it this way, if your 75 GPD unit is producing 50 GPD you need a 50 GPD capillary tube. You'll produce more filtered water and waste less down the drain.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my flow restrictor for the seasons as stated above. But I also run a booster pump to get me from 45psi to 80psi if I wanted and I make so much more water with it. I found mine on amazon, same as BRS but cheaper.

Also, I keep a 300watt heater in my water storage tub. I heat the water to 90 degrees and have 100 feet of tubing spiraled around in the warm water to the input of the RO/DI unit. This helps warm the water before it enters the membrane which helps make more water in the winter months!

OP
OP
thejoshdavis

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my flow restrictor for the seasons as stated above. But I also run a booster pump to get me from 45psi to 80psi if I wanted and I make so much more water with it. I found mine on amazon, same as BRS but cheaper.

Also, I keep a 300watt heater in my water storage tub. I heat the water to 90 degrees and have 100 feet of tubing spiraled around in the warm water to the input of the RO/DI unit. This helps warm the water before it enters the membrane which helps make more water in the winter months!

That's a great idea man. I'm going to have to do that. I also keep a heater in my storage bin. I think a booster pump is in my future for sure. I'm going to check on the flow restrictor and see what I might be able to do.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great idea Ryan, I'm going to try that.

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glad I bought the booster pump well worth it now I can up grade and add any thing I need for my rodi etra di and chlorinemens
uploadfromtaptalk1425331644906.jpg
I have 80 gal heatex on hand at all Times and 20 gal for top off it you go cheep you will regret ir and it will cost more in the end

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back